Ready Made Icing By "best Brands"??

Decorating By rebew10 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm by JenniferAtwood

rebew10 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 10

Has anyone used the ready made icing made by "Best Brands" that you can buy at cake speciality stores? I was interested in buying it for practice cakes that I do when trying out new techniques instead of making up a batch of buttercream. Wanting to know if it is really sweet like regular buttercream and if it crusts......

9 replies
rebew10 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone??

JenniferAtwood Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 10

I used it during a competition once. I don't like the flavor at all.
That shouldn't matter much if you are only using it for practice cakes. If I remember correctly it does crust some. This was a few years ago so I can't be real specific..... I only remember thinking who would want to eat this.

rebew10 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 10

That may not be good since I would pass them on to my husband's co-workers!! Though.....he may want to give it to some icon_wink.gif

CWR41 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 10

I've not used Best Brands icing and wasn't aware it's available at cake specialty stores. (I see you're in Texas, perhaps it's a Texas thing since Best Brands has a Dallas division.)

Best Brands catalog shows 26 different kinds of icing products (not including glazes, etc.), maybe you could call the specialty store(s) to ask your questions or ask for samples of whichever products they carry.

Also, on 2/04/2010 Best Brands was purchased by CSM (based in the Netherlands). CSM also owns H.C. Brill which makes excellent buttercream products. It might take up to two years before Best Brands and Brill products are combined into the same catalog, but you could ask your specialty store how long before they can get Brill samples too.

rebew10 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 10

I actually asked an individual at a store I went into the other day what it tasted like. She very rudely said, "It's buttercream". Well......no kidding!!!! I was asking what it tasted like! Needless to say, I won't be visiting that store again.

l80bug79 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 10

can you order directly from best brands or is it like CK where you have to give them your tax id number?

CWR41 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by l80bug79

can you order directly from best brands or is it like CK where you have to give them your tax id number?

You need more than a tax ID number... to order direct, you need a dock and a fork lift, and must meet minimum order requirements of 8-14 pallets (depending on which division). Or, you can order through a distributor.

l80bug79 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by l80bug79

You need more than a tax ID number... to order direct, you need a dock and a fork lift, and must meet minimum order requirements of 8-14 pallets (depending on which division). Or, you can order through a distributor.

yeah...not going to meet that minimum. icon_smile.gif

JenniferAtwood Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 10

We make our own buttercream so when I said that it was not good... I mean compared to home made buttercrea. I would say it is like grocery store buttercream. I know that two of the grocery stores in our area use the buttercream from Best Brands. Maybe you could call and ask and purchase a small amount from one of their bakeries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%