How Do I Attach Fresh Flowers To A Cake?

Decorating By CakeyKerry Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 11:26pm by CakeyKerry

CakeyKerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyKerry Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to do a wedding cake (one of those with the roses between the tiers and a rose arrangement topper) but I have never used fresh flowers on cake before (Panic!!)

Can someone please tell me how I do this? icon_redface.gif

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 5

You just get floral foam and then cover it in fondant (to match the rest of the cake). Then you clip the stem down to the right length and insert the stem into the floral foam. You just do that over and over again.

For the top of the cake, you can get little flower spike things. You just stick the plastic spike down into the cake and then the stem goes into the plastic spike.

Here's a picture.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=23819&name=Fresh%20Flower%20Cake%20Spikes%20by%20Wilton

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 5

I also suggest the floral arranging video from Jen Dontz. She gives you the basics on floral arranging both sugar flowers and real flowers. She was in the floral industry before she became a cake decorator so she really knows what she's talking about! Plus the video is really cheap!
www.jenniferdontz.com

CakeyKerry Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

You just get floral foam and then cover it in fondant (to match the rest of the cake). Then you clip the stem down to the right length and insert the stem into the floral foam. You just do that over and over again.

For the top of the cake, you can get little flower spike things. You just stick the plastic spike down into the cake and then the stem goes into the plastic spike.

Here's a picture.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=23819&name=Fresh%20Flower%20Cake%20Spikes%20by%20Wilton

That's great, thanks. I use these to hold wired cake star burst/fountains - I didn't realise that they were flower spikes! Well.. you learn something new every day on here, don't you?! icon_lol.gif Do you put a small amount of water in them to keep them fresh?

CakeyKerry Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I also suggest the floral arranging video from Jen Dontz. She gives you the basics on floral arranging both sugar flowers and real flowers. She was in the floral industry before she became a cake decorator so she really knows what she's talking about! Plus the video is really cheap!
www.jenniferdontz.com

Fantastic! Thanks for this info - I shall go and check this out now thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%