Cakes Dry Up When I Put Them In The Fridge

Decorating By symho2000 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm by symho2000

symho2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
symho2000 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 10

Is there a way to store my cakes in the fridge and still avoid them from drying up? I'm sure there is a way but I don't know what it is!!!

9 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 10

Are you letting them come back to room temp before serving? A cold cake can "taste" dry but back at room temp they should be fine. I refrigerate all my cakes and they are always moist at room temp.

symho2000 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 10

THanks...I do let it sit at room temp but I am wondering if my fridge is too cold cause when they come out of the fridge they are stone hard...so even after 'warming' up they are nothing like when I just keep them at room temperature - I'm kind of frustrated cause I want to decorate cakes with whipped cream fillings and fresh fruit - which requires refrigeration... Please help!

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 10

Is this before or after frosting?

symho2000 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 10

THis is with frosting

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 10

A lot of people may not know this, but refrigeration causes starches to crystallize which makes things seem stale. Freezing does not cause this. This is why bread and potatoes do not store well in the fridge. Short term refrigeration is fine for letting frosting set to make for easier handling, but it is not really good for more than that.

Michele

symho2000 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 10

So if that is the case, what do you do when you have fresh fruit fillings or whipped cream fillings? you just have to serve it right away??? How do those Chinese bakeries do it then? all their cakes are sponge type cakes with whipped cream and even after I buy them they seem fine for a couple of days in my fridge!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 10

A lot fillings will have enough moisture to keep the cake moist. Experimentation is the best way to find what works for your business. I don't do sponge cakes, but since they have simple syrup added and moist fillings, these might overcome the crystallization factor.

Michele

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #9 of 10

I always put my cakes in the fridge since I use SMBC and I am a total food-safety freak. When I only used SMBC and no filling, it was too hard and seemed dry. Now that I always use a whipped-cream based filling, it makes all the difference.

I have a nice and really easy vanilla cream recipe as well as a good chocolate ganache that will help keep your cakes tasting moist. PM me if you would like the recipes. icon_smile.gif

symho2000 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #10 of 10

Tsal, would totally want to see what your recipe does in my fridge! Thanks for sharing...but can't find your email...can you email it to me to [email protected]??? I have a cake in the freezer ready to go through a whipped cream experiment too - do you stabilize yours and does it stay good in the fridge for a couple of days???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%