Flowers

Decorating By tricia1973 Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm by JenniferMI

tricia1973 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 7

I'm a novice, so please excuse my lack of cake knowledge. I have two questions. The first is: What is the best medium for flower making?
The second is: How far in advance can I make flowers/ how do I store them?
It would also help if you gave me tips on what wire I can use and the best way to attach them. Sorry I can't be specific yet on what types of flowers I'll be using, I just don't know yet.
Thanks.

6 replies
tatorchip Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 7

here is a tutorial by tonedna and if you look on the right side of the site there is lots more tutorials by tonedna and she is very very good. HTH

idgalpal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

tricia1973, I think you'll find lots of different opinions here. I like fondant for 'duff roses". and gumpaste for most realistic roses. Gumpaste dries faster and can be rolled thinner than fondant. I think both are easy to work with, but it depends on what kind of flowers you're making.

kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 7

One also can make many flowers from b'cream. Let them dry at lest over night then store in cardboard boxes for up to 6 months.

JenniferMI Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, the CCers above are correct...there are many ways of making flowers for cakes. Do you have a specific type you are trying to do?

Jen icon_smile.gif

tricia1973 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7

I love the following cake and would like to replicate it, if possible.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1586280
I've only done small flowers, somewhat like apple blossoms, in gum paste. The gum paste was drying out so fast and sometimes cracked while I had the tiny flowers on the foam. Then I did large petals in fondant that laid right on top of the cake. I use marshmellow fondant, by the way.
As you can see, these flowers are a lot more complicated. This is why I wanted to know how long they could be stored. The cake is to be delivered April 24th. As a side-note, do you think some of the flowers were boughten? I've seen similiar ones at Hobby Lobby in the cake section.
And thank you for the link! Looking forward to checking it out.

JenniferMI Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 7

Tricia -

Sorry for the delay in answering you, I was away teaching in NYC....

Those flowers on that cake could be made out of either gumpaste or fondant. Personally, I like gumpaste. My guess is you just didn't have a nice gumpaste to work with. If you e-mail me and ask for my two gumpaste recipes, I'm happy to forward them. One is Nic Lodge's but I tweak it. The paste can make all the difference in the world.

[email protected]

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%