Most Florist Know About Pesticide Free Flowers...correct?

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 9:04pm by Florimbio

hsmomma Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 3

Just had one of my brides call me to let me know that her florist didn't know what I meant by "pesticide free flowers" for her wedding cake. These flowers will be draped over the sides of her cake, definitely touching the buttercream. I've always had brides ask their florists for pesticide free flowers when they will be touching anything edible. Am I being over the top cautious? No other bride has ever had an issue asking her florist for pesticide free. Bride was wonderful about it wanting to do exactly what needed to be done. I just was surprised that the florist never heard about pesticide free flowers? Do you typically ask that they be free of pesticides? Or am I way off?

2 replies
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 3

Sounds like she needs to get a new florist.

Although caution her that when using real/fresh florals, even if they are purchased organically and pesticide free, they will most likely go across the same workbench that is covered in dirt and pesticide remnants ..... so how clean ARE the florals, really? If a bride orders organically grown florals, she needs to confirm with the florist the handling process to assure that they STAY organic.

Florimbio Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 3

I guess it depends on where you are...but in the washinton DC area...the answer is no...even the big well known places do not...I find that crazy...some flowers are poisonous...they have no clue...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%