How Do I Get Multi-Hue "opalescent" Look With Lust

Decorating By drakegore Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm by splash2splat

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 10

has anyone tried to get an pale rainbow opalescent look with luster dusts?
will be applying to white fondant or white modeling chocolate.
would brushing on layers of pale color be the way to go?
mixing the actual dust before applying?
going to be applied to small circles about the size of a dime or smaller.
thank you!
diane
p.s. there is no "opal" dust that i could find. if you know of one, please let me know icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 10

I have the CK brand violet pearl - that is like an opal color when it is used - it would be really close.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 10

I would mix some pearl dust with some rainbow disco dust and alcohol, and then paint it on... better yet just get some of that premade "pearl" paint and then mix in the rainbow disco dust.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 10

You won't get a rainbow, but an opal is predominantly white, pink and green. There are white pearl dusts and luster dust that say glimmer of_____, gold, green, blue, red ect... those are the ones you want to use. Now I will also let you know that the one called antique that looks beige and has that effect also, very much like an opal but with a beige base to it.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 10

I just used some pink disco dust on some pearl-sprayed items and somehow it looked pink and green. It was weird. Does look kinda opal-y.

supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 10

I have 2 opal dusts right now. Opal Green and Opal Gold. They are beautiful and have a sheen/shimmer but shimmer in their color at different angles if that makes sense.

http://www.creativecutters.com/index.php?option=com_simpleshop&Itemid=42&task=search

There's 4 colors so maybe they would help?? I have EA903 and EA904 and love them.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 10

thank you all for the great ideas! i need the overall effect to remain white but shimmer in opal tones (it's never something easy, lol).

loucinda, will the violet pearl read violet once it's applied?

are the disco dust particles a lot larger than luster dust?

diane

Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 10

The disco dust particles are larger, yes...they add a sparkle though. I like the idea of the previous poster's "opal dust"...I had not seen that before.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 10

No - it really is sort of an opal IMO. It is one I use to make my pearls - if that tells you how light it is. It just adds that tiny bit of color - one of my favorites next to super pearl. You could mix those two if you wanted it toned down even more.

IMO -disco dust would not work well, it is literally tiny glitter (which I love!) but would not give an "opal" type hue.....it would be too sparkly (see my red shoe in my photos - that is done with red disco dust)

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 10

I've also used a Blue Pearl by Linnea's cake & candy supplies - it also give an opal appearance.
Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%