Very Annoyed

Decorating By csweetcakes Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

csweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csweetcakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 29

OK people. Help me out here. I did a cake tasting for a potential client. And it was the father who initially contacted me and discussed details at length about what his daughter wanted. (I found this a little different to begin with). The bride, mother and father came.

We talked about what she was interested in and then he asked about pricing. I told him my prices start at $3.50/serving for brides and $3/serving for grooms for standard flavors of Yellow, Chocolate, marble. Red Velvet, Straw. and carrot were 25 cents more a serving. I charge a set-up and delivery fee of $50.

the cake was going to be a 4 tiered cake. Delivered to a place that has 2 flight of stairs. He asked if it was negotiable. I said no. He said we'll see. I offer my bride's free cake plateau rental for orders over $1000 and this order would be. That is a $50 value in itself for the plateau for the grooms and brides together. I told him that would make up that $50 for him. They left after the tasting and said they would get back to me in a week.

He called me back and approached the delivery and set-up fee again and I reminded him that I said it was non=negotiable then and still is. He was shocked that I was willing to "give up the whole thing just over $50" I could have said the same thing about him but didn't.

What do you think?

28 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 29

stick to what you told him. business is business. if you back down to him. you will feel you have to do so for the next one. stick to your guns.hth

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 29

I say stick to your guns!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 29

I think he's one of those people who fells like he just HAS to have the last word or get in the last jab over something.

Either you stick to your guns, and endure some attitude from him, or "cave in" and have him treat you like some pushover little girl.

He sounds EXACTLY like my dad. icon_mad.gif

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 29

Well, I'm not sure if you really need this order but IMHO cut him loose. These types of people are looking for deals on everything and it won't stop there. Seriously, I think they really get off on getting you to give in on something and if you don't they will make it their business to get something from you later, ie. refund. It is NOT just about the $50 delivery fee, it is their overall attitude in general, believe me, this will be a PITA order for you. I'm frankly very cynical after working in the service industry for a long time but there are just some people you don't want to do business with, fortunately it's a small %, I recommend you heed the warning signs and walk away. Sorry to be a downer but over the years you learn to recognize these folks.

idjiliak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjiliak Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 29

Oh dear. Pray for him.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 29

I just don't understand how people figure that you lugging a cake up 2 flights of stairs,your gas,your time,stands and other items basically used for free and you are supposed to give a break on the delivery or yet for free.....No Thanks...I'll pass ...even if it was for $1000.00....I'll decide to who and when I give a discount.Cake Muggles...

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 29

Dude, that is just rude!

I would stick with to my guns. Tell him, the $50 is for all orders. If he doesn't fell comfortable with it, then it would probably be best for him to go with another baker.

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 29

Don't back down.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 29

He's a bully, don't back down because it will just get worse when he calls later and wants free upgrades on this and that.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 29

It seems like in all areas of work or whatever, there are people who have this idea about themselves - that they are doing us a favor by becoming our clients. Like they are some special gift or something and we should be grateful to them for ordering cakes from us! People like that just need to move along!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by idjiliak

Oh dear. Pray for him.

Okay, this made me LOL!

I agree with everyone, this guy is rude and most likely a major PITA in the making. I see this type of behavior as a major red flag and once you drop off the cake, you most likely haven't heard the last of this dude. Agreed that if you don't need the order, cut it loose and move on.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 29

I agree with everyone else - loose this looser!

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:33pm
post #14 of 29

He wants to be a bully and probablly tries to pull his passive aggressive routine on people in all of his dealings. I love it how he tried to turn it around on you as if you were the one being unreasonable by letting his order slip through your fingers. Puuhhhlease. I agree with the other poster that this is a power trip on his part and you will be doing yourself a favor to let him take his business elsewhere.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 29

I agree with cutting him loose. I think I would just tell him, "no one should work for free and that fee is there because there it is work to deliver and set up a cake. It is non-negotiable and so are the other terms."

reminds me of a friend who, after meeting with the client (who drove up in a Ferrari) and explaining the cost for a sculpted birthday cake for his wife said in an incredulous tone,"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I NEVER PAY RETAIL.".

Ugh. What a jerk. She held firm and told him that she doesn't work for free for anyone.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 29

Actually, I'd charge $50 extra for each flight of stairs! icon_evil.gif

happy2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy2bake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #17 of 29

Here's what I think: People like this you will never make happy regardless of what you do. Even if you did give in to this request, there would be something else for him to find to quibble over. I work with the public and I know some people are like this. I agree with the previous post that he would have to have the last word. Just stick to what you told him and let him take it or leave it. And IMHO, you shouldn't think twice about it!! icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #18 of 29

Call him back and tell him you'll wave the fee, fast forward to day of wedding, let them come pick up 4 seperate cakes in 4 seperate boxes and have no friggin clue what to do with them.
Heck you can even leave out the dowels if you want to , seeing as those are part of the "set-up".
Let them stack 4 cakes on top of one another without any supports, he'll wish he had coughed up that extra 50$ bucks then.

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #19 of 29

I had a jerk like this once back in July. He didn't like my rate and tried very hard to get me to lower it. The cake he wanted had a lot of detail. He wanted a deal. But I stood my ground. He was such a PITA that I decided to not take his order.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Call him back and tell him you'll wave the fee, fast forward to day of wedding, let them come pick up 4 seperate cakes in 4 seperate boxes and have no friggin clue what to do with them.
Heck you can even leave out the dowels if you want to , seeing as those are part of the "set-up".
Let them stack 4 cakes on top of one another without any supports, he'll wish he had coughed up that extra 50$ bucks then.

Too funny!!!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #21 of 29

DO NOT GIVE IN! I agree with every other person here. He will nickel and dime you to death and then request a refund later for some imagined problem. NOT WORTH IT

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #22 of 29
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:27am
post #23 of 29

I think you sholuld definately not give in.

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 10:21am
post #24 of 29

I agree with everyone also. He is most definately a bully. He had alot of nerve asking if the fee was negotiable. You were right telling him no. Every other place to order a cake from has a delivery/setup fee also. The $50 is cheap I think. Where I live the fees start at $80 for the first 10 miles. He was getting a discount from you to begin with as far as I'm concerned. JMHO. Stick to your guns. thumbs_up.gif

Cake Muggles just don't get it!! icon_confused.gif

teezed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teezed Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 10:48am
post #25 of 29
Quote:

LMAO...
I love this!!!!!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:01pm
post #26 of 29

If you give this guy an inch, I promise you, he'll be back for more discounts. The grief can only get worse.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:14pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by teezed

Quote:

LMAO...
I love this!!!!!!

My husband is dying laughing, shaking his head, saying: "Even an outsider like me knows that!" icon_lol.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:10pm
post #28 of 29

Ditto everyone else...let him find somebody else.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #29 of 29

Stand your ground! People like that make me so mad I start thinking of things to charge them extra for LOL.... I guess I'm just stubborn like that. I might would give someone a break on something......but that's not the way to get breaks from me icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%