Are You Freaking Kidding Me? (Re: Pink Icing)

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm by KrissieCakes

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 10

So I made some pink icing last night and ran out of americolor deep pink AND wilton rose. This ALWAYS happens to me. I always run out of the color I am using right in the middle. So, no big deal I went to Michaels today to buy some more wilton rose. They are out of wilton rose! Fine, I buy regular pink. So just now I add some pink to my already pink icing and it starts turning it ORANGE! For real? We don't have any cake decorating stores so there is no way I can replace my americolor today. Now I or my husband have to run all over town trying to find wilton rose. Any other ideas? I am trying to get a nice dark pink to go along with a dark purple and and red.

9 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 10

I think the rose color is just pink with some ivory in it..or even a teeny bit of brown. Do you have ivory? Just use lots of pink so its bright, and then add ivory until its a more dusty pink.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I think the rose color is just pink with some ivory in it..or even a teeny bit of brown. Do you have ivory? Just use lots of pink so its bright, and then add ivory until its a more dusty pink.

I am afraid if I add more pink its going to turn orange. It looked orangey when I added pink. I do have ivory though. I just don't want to have to start over as I just realized I'm also out of powdered sugar icon_sad.gif

Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not sure why it would be orange??? Did you only use pink?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 10

Yep I only used pink. Weird. I am just using it the way it is. I got a purple that I really like and I like the pink but am afraid its going to clash with the red fondant bow. Its hard to get a pink that doesn't clash with red!

Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 10

It is!!!! Customer recently wanted an Abby Cadabby cake that was mostly pink and purple but then wanted Elmo thrown in the mix, with some red as well. It was hard to figure that out! (In my photos)

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 10

Cant really help with the color thing, but your pics are great!!!!! Love your work.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 10

I've used a few drops of red to get pink (after all red + white = pink). If you have white coloring you can mix it a bit too.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

It is!!!! Customer recently wanted an Abby Cadabby cake that was mostly pink and purple but then wanted Elmo thrown in the mix, with some red as well. It was hard to figure that out! (In my photos)

You did a great job with the pink, purple, and red. Mine turned out okay but not great. They wanted dark purple and dark pink (as opposed to pastel). I love how the purple turned out and how it looks with the red and I like the pink color by itself but it almost doesn't have enough contrast with the red. I haven't uploaded the pic yet but I have a feeling you won't be able to tell that the fondant bow and #5 are red while the bottom and top tiers are iced in pink. Next time I'm sticking with either purple and pink or purple and red but not all three!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 10

The Wilton plain pink color is a funky color!!! I had the same problem...it was kind of a peachy orange color for me and just plain gross looking. I don't have any different suggestions, but I wanted you to know that it's not just you!!! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%