Important Questions For My First Ever Wedding Cake

Decorating By andlydle Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 1:21am by dalis4joe

andlydle Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 4

If this information is already on here, i apologize. My internet time is very limited and my previous quick searches have been unsuccessful.
I am making my friend's wedding cake in 3 weeks and she wants to save the top tier plus she has ordered real flowers for me to arrange on top and cascade down the side.

My questions are: What do I need to do to allow her to freeze her top tier for her 1st anniversary? Do I need to do anything special to arrange the flowers? I've done a RI flower cascade, but I used icing to secure that and the picture that she wants me to use as my guide for the arrangement doesn't reveal any sort of secret. The florist knows the flowers are for use on the cake, but beyond that I don't know anything about the flowers.
Thanks in advance for your help.

3 replies
3GCakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 4

Are you meaning that you want to freeze it with the flowers on?

In general, how do you freeze the top tier?

Usually, the decorations are carefully removed, the cake is wrapped up in plastic wrap and foil, or in a box that is plastic wrapped and foiled, then stick it in the freezer.

There isn't really a secret to it, just make sure it is wrapped up tight. If you are going to use real flowers, you won't be sticking the flowers directly into the cake. More than likely you'll be using fower pics so the flower doesn't go into the cake. I'd take the pics out and maybe try to repair the hole a little, but then just wrap it up. It won't be perfect looking, but it will be edible.

If the flowers are just laying on the cake, I'd simply remove them and then freeze the cake.

I am not sure if most people would freeze the cake with real flowers in or on it, but I don't think I would.

SHADDI Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 4

On Wilton site they had this:

Storing The Top Tier Of Wedding Cakes:

Hope that helps.

dalis4joe Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 4

i was under the impression the florist takes care of putting the flowers when using real flowers?
I have never used real flowers so I don't knw... but I heard that somewhere

Quote by @%username% on %date%