All Purpose Flour Vs. Self Rising Flour?

Baking By officialamysue Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm by artscallion

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I'm trying to find out whats better to use? I just made a chocolate cake with self rising flour.. very impressed with the fact that it came out at a high level and very super moisty!

I think im keeping that recipe forever!! icon_smile.gif

Self rising cake... would it be cheaper to even use that instead of buying all the ingredients to even make a cake rise?!

I would love to see all kinds of answers, because i'm a newb!!!

And i must admit.. this chocolate cake is the first that was not a fail for a first time scratcher!!

Amysue.

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 8

I thought that the only difference between the two is that the self-rising already has baking powder added into it. If you added the other ingredients according to the recipe but used self-rising flour instead, you just got more leaveners, which is why it rose so well. Maybe someone else can say whether I'm right about that being the only differnce. I don't have any in the house to look at to check.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 8

Yup. Only difference is pre-added baking powder.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 8

Most self rising flours also already have salt in them.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Most self rising flours also already have salt in them.

I was thinking that could be in it, too, but I wasn't sure.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:12am
post #6 of 8

Yup! self raising has baking powder and salt already added and most recipes that ask for all purpose/plain flour ask for baking powder and salt if they are to make a raising product like cake. But if you use self raising flour and then add baking powder it helps keep the top of the cake flat rather than develop a peak, but it still rises all round.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 8

Not always. If you add additional baking soda/powder to self-rising cake it can result in a fallen cake.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Not always. If you add additional baking soda/powder to self-rising cake it can result in a fallen cake.

This is true. Cakes that rise too much can have an unstable structure that can result big fall following the big rise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%