How To Roll Dough Evenly?

Baking By kileyscakes Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 1:12am by toleshed

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if anyone has a good way to roll out dough evenly, I don't think I want to purchase a dough board I dont do cookies enough yet. Is there any diy type of thing to try.
Thanks
Kiley

13 replies
ebredhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebredhawk Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 14

it's not really DIY, but you can get spacers to put on your rolling pin.. they come in all different sizes depending on how thick you want your dough and they're usually less than $10.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 14

You can buy the spacer rings for your fondant roller, or lay two dowels that are the thickness you want, on either side of the fondant you are rolling, and roll until your pin hits them. (does that make sense? There are tutorials for this method on CC somewhere)

HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 14

I use Key stock (metal square stock - I purchased stainless steel so it it was food safe) but you can also use dowels. I suggest getting the square ones to save your sanity when they stay in place. You can usually get a 3ft pc for a couple bucks at the most, cut it in half and your good to go.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 14

IndyDebi posted this trick a while back. She said she went to Home Depot and picked up 2 free wooden paint stirrers. She then washed them and wrapped them in plastic wrap. She laid one on either side of her dough, rolled right over the stirrers, and her dough came out even every time.

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 14

I use 2 wooden square dowels as well. They are wrapped in plastic but since I roll my cookie dough between sheets of parchment paper I put the rods under the paper, never touches the dough.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 14

I use regular 1/4" round wooden dowel rods...I just line them up in a rectangle on the counter (making sure they're no wider than my rolling pin) and roll myself a nice sheet of dough and they're always the exact same perfect thickness!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 14

The dowel idea sounds great! Before I ever heard of that one, I bought the wide Wilton fondant roller and the Wilton rolling pin spacers at Michael's. I used Micheal's coupons each time, so that helped as they weren't cheap. I have been very happy with how it has worked out, but have to say that I would have tried the dowel idea first if I had heard of it before to save money and as so many like the idea.

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 14

Ditto......KHalstead.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 14

I have these rolling pin rings. 4 different sizes for you to choose from for your rolling pin depending on your desired thickness. They are only $8.95 for the set with free shipping.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/rolling-pin-rings

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 14

I have these long plastic "sticks" - I think they're called "perfection strips".
They came in 3 different thicknesses (about 1/16", 1/4" and 1/8"). They work great! I have no ideas where I got mine - I've had them for years, but I recently saw them in the country kitchen sweet art catalog for under $10. But you could always use dowels too.

cookie_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_me Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:55am
post #12 of 14

Home depot sells this wood stick that come in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 respectevly i bough them for like 78 cents and cut them in two (about 18 inches long each and they wook great. good luck thumbs_up.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 14

I use the perfection strips that country kitchen sells . They work great for cookie dough and also rolling out fondant icon_smile.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #14 of 14

Cut a couple of yard sticks in half. That works great also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%