Defrost A Frozen Cake...

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 1:00am by JaeRodriguez

Bradymom6 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 8

Good Morning CC'ers,
Well, I am off to Austin to my daughter's baby shower. I have made the cakes and they are frozen. My question is this, when I go to defrost them do I leave them in the Saran wrap or unwrap them? Also, how long do I wait to decorate them?
Thanks.

7 replies
Win Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 8

If you have time to do so, leave them in the plastic wrap and allow them to thaw in the refrigerator. Normal sized cakes only take about four hours to thaw that way. If they require any carving, you can take them out before they are completely thawed and they carve better that way. Some take them out of the freezer the night before and allow them to thaw in the fridge overnight. I have seen others state they allow them to thaw on the counter. I'll not try to relay their methods, so I hope they jump on in and reply as well.

Have a wonderful time in Austin! What a great occasion to celebrate!

Bradymom6 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 8

Win,
Thanks for your input. I do need to level them some so I will do that after they a little. I hope they turn out ok as this is my first time to freeze cakes.

Win Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradymom6

Win,
Thanks for your input. I do need to level them some so I will do that after they a little. I hope they turn out ok as this is my first time to freeze cakes.

I freeze cakes alll the time. I am willing to bet you are going to be very pleasantly surprised since you have never done it before. They come out moister, and incredibly delish. You will have everyone raving over them!

thumbs_up.gif

Bradymom6 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the encouragement. I will post pictures when I get it done.

Bradymom6 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 8

Hello all,
I am posting a pic of the final shower cake. While there are obvious flaws, my daughter loved it and I got nothing but compliments on how it looked and tasted. I want to thank all of you for you advise and encouragement throughout this process.
Bradymom
LL

jenbug1 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 8

Very Cute! I am glad you posted this, I am so scared about freezing cakes and this information has been very helpful!

JaeRodriguez Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #8 of 8

Very cute! I allow my cakes to thaw on the counter I leave them in the plastic wrap while they thaw and then I decorate while it's still a little cold :] Sorry my answer is after your cake, but it looks very pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%