Mmf Shelf Life

Decorating By SallyBratt Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 12:54am by SallyBratt

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 8

Does MMF have a good shelf life like the store bought fondants? I'm thinking of making some to mix with my gumpaste as an experiment. It would need to have a good shelf life tho because a lot of people like to keep the gumpaste figures.

7 replies
pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 8

hmmm....during my searches when I first started working with it I remember reading that it's good for a month! Double wrapped.
This could be wrong, wish I could remember the source...

SallyBratt Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 8

It's not as stable as bought fondant then. Those gumpaste figures need to last and not go moldy if someone decides to keep them so maybe it's best if I stick to store bought fondant.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 8

Moldy?? the first MMF figures and molded pieces I made about 8 months ago are still sitting in my kitchen...they're a tad hard, but not moldy. I've had MMF dry out when I didn't cover it properly, but it was like a month and a half old...

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBratt

It's not as stable as bought fondant then. Those gumpaste figures need to last and not go moldy if someone decides to keep them so maybe it's best if I stick to store bought fondant.

No, no, you don't have to buy fondant unless you absolutely want to. I have MMF/Gumpaste figures that have sat out for three years and have never done anything other than fade a little. I have never, never seen MMF mold. It has an extraordinarily long shelf life even when being used to apply to cakes.

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 8

yeah, i don't think you'd have to worry about it going moldy...especially with the ingredients it uses. I was thinking more along the lines of it drying out....or possibly changing texture a bit.

leif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leif Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, I also have a MMF figure that is 3 years old in my cupboard icon_biggrin.gif

SallyBratt Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 8

Thanks. I'll be giving it a try then.

Fondarific is about $40 a bucket and I really dont want to use it for my gumpaste figures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%