Newbie Buying Supplies..

Decorating By allkidzmom1 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm by tesso

allkidzmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allkidzmom1 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 9

I am very new to cake decorating and trying to get some supplies, such as tips, feather weight bags etc. I have found a bargain thus far that I want to share. I bought:

56-piece cake decorating tips with a plastic carrying case included, Wilton 9" Angled Spatula, 1- 12" Featherweight decorating bag, & 1- 14" Featherweight decorating bag for $24.95 shipping included. These are all brand new and I found them on etsy dot com.

Now I need to stock up on some clear flavorings, I already have Vanilla, Buttercream and Almond. Any suggestions on where to get them at a reasonable price? I live in a small town with only Michael's for craft and baking supplies.

Any other suggestions on items you keep in stock that a newbie would need?

Share your bargains please.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 9

You should sign up for Michaels email and they'll send you coupons. That's the cheapest way to build up supplies. Vanilla, butter and almond flavorings are probably all you need at first...maybe lemon too. You can get the others if you need a specific flavor for a recipe. If you order some supplies online somewhere, get some Creme Bouquet.

I use the disposable bags. They're much tougher than they used to be and they're super convenient.

allkidzmom1 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for your suggestions. What is the Creme Bouquet for?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 9

Try Christmas Tree shops for inexpensive tools, flavorings, cutters and sometimes good pans

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 9

I like the small WIlton cake cutter device to torte cakes. It looks like a metal handle with a wire between it. The large one never works for me, so I can't recommend it. You'll also need a good turntable and lots of cake boards in varying sizes. A bench scraper is important for icing cakes. Shelf-liner from the dollar store or Walmart is also good to avoid cake board slipping-get the non-skid one. Get a large "TUFF" board-14" or 16". They are corrugated, plastic-covered circles that I use to ice my cakes on (they have scalloped edges) . I put the cake on the appropriate sized cake circle, then ice it on the TUFF board. I wash them with hot, soapy water, and dry them right away so that I can reuse them. Good, heavy cake pans are important too. HTH

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 9

I love my cake icing tip with a 16" bag!

allkidzmom1 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!!

I was in Atlanta this weekend and went to "Cake Art", I could have browsed in that store for hours. I did pick up some flavorings, and also Creme Bouquet, that smells devine.

I have my last class tonight and a 40% off coupon, so I see some shopping in my future this afternoon.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 9

LOL Pans will be a never ending story for a while.... A silicone mat is a must have for fondant in my opinion. If you don't have a mixer yet... a Kitchenaid will be your best friend. Walmart had them for $150 not too long ago. Baking strips are also a must have.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 9

i found clear flavorings at kroger and walmart. less than 2 dollars. It is always great finding bargains isnt it !! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%