Cake For 100 Year Old

Decorating By drummer27 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm by tesso

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 20

My Great Grandmother is turning 100 next week (and she still lives at home by herself!) and I am making the cake for her party. My family keeps telling me to just do something simple but my thoughts are you only get one 100th birthday. Any ideas for what kind of cake design to do? I'd like to do a 10 inch and 6 inch tiered cake but I am at a total loss for any ideas of how to decorate it. Thanks!

19 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 20

If you have photos of her throughout her life with family, etc, you could put those on edible images for the sides of the tiers.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 20

Wow - that is a milestone! I agree, you have to do something special! I'm amazed she's still living at home and on her own- how fortunate she is...

I did a photo album for my Mom's 60th/retirement with edible photos of the different stages of her life (in my photos)- maybe something like that? How many people? I did two 9X13's and that feeds 60.
Good luck and happy b-day to your great grandmother! icon_smile.gif

drummer27 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 20

She hates her picture taken (and always has) so I don't have any photos. Light pink roses and silver keep popping into my mind but I want to really make it special for her. I am still waiting on the guest count but I know there are going to be quite a few people. They started asking what we were going to do for her birthday back in August. She used to do a lot of quilting back in the day but I can't think of a way to incorporate that....

jtp139 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtp139 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 20

that lace/embroidery work with royal icing is beautiful if you'd be up to that.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 20

If you are not set on a tiered cake, you can make a cake in the shape of the number 100.

drummer27 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 20

I really want a tiered cake, I want something with a lot of presence....I should also mention her party is the day after my daughter's 5th birthday party so I will have 2 big cakes next week. I think I might call my gram and see if she can dig up any old pictures with her in them...I really like the photo idea, I just hope that there are some floating around somewhere.

cakesrock Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 20

If she doesn't like her picture taken, then I would stray away from that idea...

However, if she likes quiliting, you could simply just do the quilted look on each tier , if you're set on a tiered cake (think Oprah's cake) and put a(silver) bead at each intersection. That looks very elegant. You could still put flowers on top, as well.

Would love to see a photo when you're done! icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer27

My Great Grandmother is turning 100 next week (and she still lives at home by herself!) and I am making the cake for her party. My family keeps telling me to just do something simple but my thoughts are you only get one 100th birthday. Any ideas for what kind of cake design to do? I'd like to do a 10 inch and 6 inch tiered cake but I am at a total loss for any ideas of how to decorate it. Thanks!

Congrats to your Great Grandmother thumbs_up.gif , My mom is turning 80 this May and i was wanted to do a stacked cake , to but i decided to take a sheet cake, and do the basket weave on it and cover the corners in beautiful flowers of all kinds, and then im going to take a picture of her when she was young and put it onto a oval cake and try to make it like a Cameo,. she loves flowers and running vines, just my thoughts thumbs_up.gif

hp6472 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hp6472 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 20

No idea for a cake. But congrats!! That is soooo great!!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #11 of 20

I love doing fondant diamonds on the bottom tier, with flowers or pearls at the points. The top tier, I was thinking maybe a patchwork quilt draped where the edges hang over onto the sides. A basket of flowers could sit on top, a beautiful bow.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #12 of 20

Do you have Collette Peters' Birthday Cakes book? I am thinking of a beautiful one in there with brush embroidery- very antique looking.

drummer27 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #13 of 20

They e-mailed me 6 photos, my gram is in love with the photo idea...now I need to figure out what to do...I'm going with a 10 in and a 6in. I love all of the ideas, now I just have to piece them together...

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #14 of 20

i love the idea of making it look like a patch work quilt. It would look cute if you put it on a large board and incorporated a few things like a pin cushion, with needles, measuring tape, a few quilting blocks lying on the side, maybe some spools of thread.

congrats on the 100th b-day. what a mile stone.

CakeFaerieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFaerieK Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:22am
post #15 of 20

How about using the photos and quilt theme together? Make the 'quilt' squares with photos in them.... and do the other great suggestions on here.
Drape the quilt over the side and add the extras of pin cushion, etc.

And don't forget to add the numbers 100.
My grandmother lived to be 100 and I regret that I wasn't making cakes back then.

RK13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RK13 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #16 of 20

I think a cake photo collage. Like pictures of her years past from childhood to now and you could always include photos that have children and grandchildren.

drummer27 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #17 of 20

Well I thought and thought about it and I'm going with the 2 tiers with quilting on the sides, a swag coming down the one side with pink roses on top and pink rose petals scattered all throughout. I have the photos we are just going to put around the cake. I really wanted to do something classic and beautiful and I hope I can achieve that. For some reason every time I thought of a cake for her I thought pink roses so I figured why not go for it. I really appreciate all of the ideas and help from you guys! I'll try to get up a picture when I get it finished.

drummer27 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 20

Here it is! Thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas! Everyone loved it and she had a great birthday party.
LL

cakesrock Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #19 of 20

It looks wonderful! I'm sure she just adored iticon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #20 of 20

I love it !! you did a great job !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%