What I Hate About Baking...

Decorating By caraleecupcake Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm by SandiOh

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:10am
post #1 of 25

stupid dishes!! its 2am and i should be sleeping icon_sad.gif just finished 6 dozen cupcakes and the frosting for them for an order tomorrow morning.... now im just venting lol

ps- also wanted to mention dry cracked hands from washing them so much/doing dishes

ok im done...thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

24 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:23am
post #2 of 25

caraleecupcake - welcome to the world of *all things caking*
Keep stashing those cupcake dollars away - and before you know it you will have a shiny new dishwasher - thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:28am
post #3 of 25

lol when i saw the title of your post i immediately thought "i hate the effing dishes!!!!"
lol.

although, im feeling rather jealous of you! look at the size of your sink! AND you have a rinsing bay! geeeez. what luxury. lol. i have a teeny tiny one bay sink. drives me mad. but yes, moving in six months and if i cant find a place with a dishwasher.. i WILL find a place with two sink bays! =)))

oh, and watch the dermatitis, i got a really bad case when i was working at a restaurant. You need to invest in some gloves and wear them all the time. Sorbolene cream will also help. once you get a bad case.. your hands are never the same.. my hands are always dry now.. tho thank gosh i have finger prints these days! lol.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:40am
post #4 of 25

washing up sucks, when my hands get so dry that even cream leaves them rough I put a teaspoon of seasalt in my hand and a little olive oil then rub it all over (over the sink) then just rinse the salt off, pat dry and they are lovely and smooth again icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:57am
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftieshousewife

washing up sucks, when my hands get so dry that even cream leaves them rough I put a teaspoon of seasalt in my hand and a little olive oil then rub it all over (over the sink) then just rinse the salt off, pat dry and they are lovely and smooth again icon_smile.gif

I thank you for that bit of info. I just retired from my job and now it seems to be dishes all day everyday. Going to the kitchen right now to try it.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:57am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

lol when i saw the title of your post i immediately thought "i hate the effing dishes!!!!"
ROFL - i'll pay that one - thumbs_up.gif
Bluehue

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 25

haha thanks guys!! i just had to vent... those darn dishes were just standing between me and my bed lol

fiftieshousewife & noahsmummy - thanks for the hand advice!! i'm gonna moisturize all day today icon_biggrin.gif

ktmarieb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktmarieb Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 25

I love Mary Kay's satin hands, but the idea of salt and olive oil is the same concept.
I hate the dished too. What do you all put in the dishwasher? I'm afraid of everything rusting.

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 25

ktmarieb - i actually hand wash pretty much everything (except bowls/utensils) ...so i invested in a nice pair of rubber gloves icon_smile.gif but i still have dry hands because in between doing the other stuff :-/

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 25

Ditto on dishes...BOO! And between caking and dry winter air, my hands are so dry too...thanks for the tips.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 25

i saw you were doing rainbow cuppies on your blog.. & i am TOTALLY with ya there-- those are the WORST dishes! I do this 'flavor' a lot for cakes, and man... all those bowls from mixing colors... *sigh*

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 25

That is a sign of a good baker - make sure you stay up late to ensure the goodies are super fresh! I still don't have a dishwasher :p boo hoo

I stop using anything with a grease residue- forget about it!

There are some really good dishwashers out there - FANCY - and I dream of owning one. I would take a pass on jewelry and shoes...to have one of my very own.

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 25

I have a set of "designer" rubber gloves. They are hot pink and zebra print icon_smile.gif makes me feel a little more special when I am doing the dishes icon_smile.gif MY BFF got us each a set, her hands crack really bad in the winter.

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 25

Here's a view of finished product icon_smile.gif I made a huge sampling of flavors .... they better like'm icon_wink.gif
LL
LL

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:13pm
post #15 of 25

mrsbriggs06 - omg ur so right about all those bowls for the rainbow!!! lol

ShanB - i saw those gloves at a boutique store around here!! i want some now icon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmarieb

I love Mary Kay's satin hands, but the idea of salt and olive oil is the same concept.
I hate the dished too. What do you all put in the dishwasher? I'm afraid of everything rusting.

satin hands saved my life too! its what got my hands back to normal.. but its so dam expensive1 and my hands arent as bad as what they used to be.. so i jst use good old sorbo now. =)

those cupcakes look great by the way! =)

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 25

Yeah, if I'm not washing my hands every 5 minutes WHILE decorating, I'm washing up dishes FROM decorating/baking! Or my hands are drying out from pushing all that paper at my day job. Gonna try that olive oil treatment! Thanks for the tip!

Cute cuppies, btw, and they look de-lish! Wish I could read your flavor map, what were they?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:37am
post #18 of 25

Ugh, my sink and counter looks exactly like yours in the first picture right now. I just finished a cake. I have no dishwasher either. I absolutely HATE dishes but I hate the mess too. I'm taking a break then tackling those dishes before I go to bed.

Otter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Otter Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:18am
post #19 of 25

I'm with all of you, but I'm going to make you all jealous. I leave the dishes and the dishes elf comes and does them. (Hubby does ALL the dishes and cleaning)

caraleecupcake Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #20 of 25

thanks icon_smile.gif i had a ton of flavors for the cupcakes...everything from vanilla to "irish car bomb." I also had a 3 tier cake due which I just dropped off successfully!!! I can sleep again....

And Otter, I am so jealous!! lol Thinking of that, I get so mad when I'm in the middle of doing my dishes and my BF throws his own dirty one in there just to make me mad lol.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:24am
post #21 of 25

hey otter where can i get some of the dishes "elf dust"

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:45am
post #22 of 25

I am willing to send a free Satin Hands travel size hand cream to anyone who is willing to PM me w/ their address.

I know how great it is!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:39pm
post #23 of 25

I have a dishwasher and my sink still looks like that! 2 loads a day when working on cakes icon_sad.gif
Bath and Body works has a moisturizing anti bacterial hand soap that is really good for washing your hands...won't help with the dish water, but does keep your hands moisturized better than regular soap. I have the lemon scent.....love it!

Otter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Otter Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #24 of 25

I don't think you can get the "dishes elf" dust anywhere, and the brother doesn't do dishes or housework, I don't think.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #25 of 25

I am now, 16 years later, reaping the benefits of 36 hours of labor in that I have a daughter who helps me with my dishes!!! (at least most of the time....)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%