Duff's Cake Supports?

Decorating By KrissieCakes Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm by KrissieCakes

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 9

Hi all! I just saw a new Ace of Cakes and noticed that Geof used big neon pink straws to support his sister's 4 or 5 tiered wedding cake. Are those the bubble straws that I have heard about on here? Or were they something different? He just used regular scissors to trim them once they were in the cake, so they couldn't have been anything too thick. Just curious because I hate cutting dowels!! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:34am
post #2 of 9

Yes, they are bubble or tea straws.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 9

I hate bubble tea straws. Every time I have used them, my fondant has cracked because they don't support the weight of the fondant.

Now other people have had a lot of success with them. So maybe I'm doing something wrong. But unless you have time to play around and make sure that nothing's going to happen.

Get SPS!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:58am
post #4 of 9

Toba Garrett uses lollipop sticks.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:04am
post #5 of 9

I always use bubble tea straws, I think they support great. Of course I always refrigerate too and the firmness of the cold cake usually keeps the jiggling/vibration down in transport and reduces the chance for anything to crack.

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:24am
post #6 of 9

They are also used in bars. You can get them from restaurant supply stores. I usually only use them for small tiered cakes. The SPS gives much better support for larger, heavier cakes, for sure!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:50am
post #7 of 9

I use bubble tea straws for all my cakes. The cake in my av is a 5 tier wedding cake supported with bubble tea straws. It traveled an hour to the venue all stacked, and up some pretty steep hills. I love them! icon_biggrin.gif

~Chelle

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 9

Where do you get your straws from?

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the responses! I don't sell my cakes, so I don't usually have to transport them and if I do, it's to somewhere in my neighborhood! I rarely make a cake more than two tiers too, so I think this would work out great for me. I'll give it a try on a cake that isn't going anywhere and see how it goes. Anyone have a good site to order from? I saw some on Amazon.com that I wouldn't have to buy in bulk. Most of the other sites you have to order hundreds, if not a thousand at a time!! icon_smile.gif Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%