Adding Corn Syrup To Ri?

Baking By sweetcreationsbykimberly Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 12:35pm by TracyLH

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 9

I was working with corn syrup icing today for the first time and I really just do not like working it. Maybe it is just me but it also seemd like it uses so much more PS than RI does. The reason I tried using it was because the RI dulls out so much and I love the look of the shinning icing.
So as I was working with the CSI I was thinking why couldn't I just add some CS to the RI to make it stay shinning. Has anyone else done this and if so how did it work out for you?

8 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #2 of 9

Yes, it will work fine icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 9

yep, I add corn syrup to my RI all the time! Works great and makes it slightly less matte.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 9

Out of curiosity, how much SC do you add to a batch of RI (if you are doing say 2 lbs of PS, i.e., Antonia74's RI)? Also, have you noticed any slowing down in the drying time like glycerin is supposed to do?

I have always wondered about this as many seem very happy with the results. Thanks for any helps anyone has. icon_smile.gif

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 9

Tracy, I did it today and to me it didn't slow the drying time down at all.

bonniebakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:28am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Out of curiosity, how much SC do you add to a batch of RI (if you are doing say 2 lbs of PS, i.e., Antonia74's RI)? Also, have you noticed any slowing down in the drying time like glycerin is supposed to do?

I have always wondered about this as many seem very happy with the results. Thanks for any helps anyone has. icon_smile.gif

Tracy - I've substituted as much as half of the liquid in Antonia74's recipe with CS with no ill effect - drying time not even significantly different. Typically, I don't do that much (I don't really measure most of the time - just put in a little less water to begin with and then add CS as it's mixing until I get the consistency I want), but there have been occasions when I wanted the icing to look much more glossy/shiny. In those instances, I make the recipe with 1/2 the water, and as soon as I start the mixer, I pour in the CS slowly.

TracyLH Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 9

Kimberly and Bonnie - Thanks so much for getting back to me! icon_smile.gif I am glad to hear that it does not slow down the drying time.

Bonnie - I would have never guessed to use that much. Thanks so much! I will have to play with that sometime. I really appreciate you sharing that. Have a great day!

bonniebakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 9

Tracy - glad I could help! I've learned so much from you, and everyone else on CC, that I'm thrilled to be able to help someone else, even just a little!

As I said, I usually don't use that much CS (1/2 the liquid in the recipe, I mean) but I have done it before....

TracyLH Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 9

Well, I do sincerely appreciate your help! Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%