Marshmallow Fondant , Good Or Bad

Decorating By Arieyane Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 3:57am by catlharper

Arieyane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arieyane Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 7

Me and a friend of mine is getting ready to make a graduation cake for our class. Ive been itching to do a design with marshmallow fondont because of the price reduction & taste when compared to regular. We both never tried marshmallow fondont but she told me that she read from like 5 different (cake) websites that after you make the marshmallow fondont, with in a sertion amt of time it will eventually turn sticky again (hence being made of marshmallows I guess..) & stuff will start to slide off of it ( flowers or what ever you put up top). So what I would like to know is...

1.) have any one ever heard/delt with this problem ? & What do you think were the main factors of it because I could see if its like 90 degrees out side & you got a marshmallow fondont cake, but under regular temp? any technique that could prevent the problem?

2.) what are some basic problems that you do notice with Marshmallow fondont. Thanks

6 replies
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:47am
post #2 of 7

I don't do a whole lot of fondant work (prefer SMBC), but when I have had a client request it I do use the marshmallow fondant. It works up well and I have not had the sticky problem you mentioned. I have even used it to decorate dummy cakes which sit around for months sometimes...no problems.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 7

I only use MMF. I have never heard of or have had it turn sticky again. I will say this, not every fondant is for everybody. You have to find the one that works for you. With that said, I use Macsmom recipe for MMF found on this site's recipe section.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 7

I use MMF exclusively, and never have a problem with it. Most folks that have issues with it are not making it properly.

I suggest you buy a small package of wilton fondant (NOT to eat) just to get the "feel" of what your finished fondant should feel like.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 7

I too have not heard of fondant going sticky after it being applied. It is kind of messy,sticky when making it but once made it to the perfect consistancy its awsome to work with, you should definately try it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #6 of 7

I use MMF all the time and love it. It's easy to make, cheap and tasty. I have never heard of the sticky, falling off a cake issues you mention, nor have I encountered them.
You do have to work with fondant to get used to it. You will run into problems with MMF if you add too much p. sugar, too much water, heat your marshmallows too much or roll it too thin. I think the suggestion of buying some Wilton to get a feel for fondant is a great suggestion! Have fun! icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 7

I've been using MMF for almost a year now, several times a month, and have never ever had any problems with it "getting sticky". Once you add in the powdered sugar you have removed the stickiness of the marshmallows. By the time it goes onto the cake enough powdered sugar has been kneaded into it that you end up with a nice soft bread or pizza dough consistancy, nothing sticky. The problem you will end up with ANY fondant in the heat is not the fondant, per sey, but the buttercream underneath that will begin to melt. Having said that, I haven't had any real problem with that either. Last summer I had a bridal shower and while the buttercream got very soft underneath the fondant held it's shape (a purse) and all the appliques on it held their place as well. I highly recommend MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%