It's Arrived......our Cricut Cake Test Machine Came In Today

Decorating By JenniferAtwood Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 12:22am by tcbklyn

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #1 of 33

So this afternoon someone told me that a box from Provo Craft has been sitting by the freight door all day. I ran to see what they were talking about. Sure enough, IT IS HERE!!!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, fellow CC friends and family, we are officially testing a Cricut Cake in daily retail production.

For those of you who would like to know if the Cricut Cake is just a glorified Cricut Expression, we will know soon. We currently run 4 Cricut Expressions in daily production to the tune of 6 to 8 hours on a busy day - so the Cricut Cake will have to prove itself.

I posted the first pictures of the Cricut Cake below and will post frequent updates over the next few days, here and on our website at http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

I am soooooooooooooo excited and can't wait to share.
LL
LL

32 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 33

looking forward to hearing all about it! Thank you!

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 33

Thank you for taking the time to review the Cake Cricut for us. Can't wait to hear the details. icon_rolleyes.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:13am
post #4 of 33

Thanks, I would love to know how it works and if it's easy to use. I will check for updates.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:15am
post #5 of 33

thank you and also waiting to keep check.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #6 of 33

I would also like to be updated

JenniferAtwood Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:27am
post #7 of 33

I meant to post this last night, but didn't leave work until 10:30pm so when I got home I crashed. I decided what I would do is take pictures of the Expression and the Cake so everyone could see up close the physical differences. Please click on the link below to go to my blog, as there are to many photos to post at once.

http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

JenniferAtwood Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:31am
post #8 of 33

I meant to post this last night, but didn't leave work until 10:30pm so when I got home I crashed. I decided what I would do is take pictures of the Expression and the Cake so everyone could see up close the physical differences. Please click on the link below to go to my blog, as there are to many photos to post at once.

http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 33

Thank you so much for taking the time to walking us through the differences between the Expression and the Cake machines. Im thinking your results will give us cake decorators that are currently on the fence the information we need to make a decision on which one to purchase.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 33

Yes , thank you for keeping us posted.

Im suck a dork I'm all exited lol !!!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 33

Looking forward to hearing more as you get a chance to put it through its paces....

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 33

JenniferAtwood Thanks for sharing this with us I went to you blog and I signed up to get your weekly blog sent to my email can wait to follow you along the way.

JenniferAtwood Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:29am
post #13 of 33

Check out my newest blog entry we put the expression against the cake using fondant, gumpaste, and modeling chocolate. We are open to suggestions on what mediums to test with. Go to the blog and see our results.http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 33

What exceptional help!!! Thank you so much. I will have to go back and read everything in detail when I have a free minute to absorb it all.

One question, would the new cake blade and mat fit an expression? I only ask because I bought the Expression right before I heard they were offering a cake cricut. Sorry if you answered this question already and I missed it.

JenniferAtwood Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomma

What exceptional help!!! Thank you so much. I will have to go back and read everything in detail when I have a free minute to absorb it all.

One question, would the new cake blade and mat fit an expression? I only ask because I bought the Expression right before I heard they were offering a cake cricut. Sorry if you answered this question already and I missed it.

You can use the housing and blade from the Expression in the Cake, however the housing and blade from the cake does not fit into the Expression. If you look closely at the blade housing it has a notch on the side that does not fit into the Expression. I am almost positive the mats could be used on either. When we received our Cake machine, the mats and boxes were still in production. When we receive one I will post it on the blog.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 33

Maybe I've missed this, in all the different posts on the CriCuts, but do we know the price difference between the one made for cakes and the one made for scrapbooking?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #17 of 33

By the time you buy the deep cut housing it's about the same price if you pre order from Cutncrop before 3/31/10

tiggy2 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #18 of 33

Jennifer, where can I find your gum paste recipe?

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #19 of 33

I doubted I would by the cake until I read your comparison blog. Now I want the cake. I want to be able to use it for paper to. So your saying I can buy the blades or other pieces needed from the expression and use it in my cake machine to have the versitility of both machines?

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #20 of 33

Thank you for blogging your findings! I love the details and, having never used a cricut, learning the differences between the two. Your first two posts have helped me feel completely comfortable with doing the preorder. Not having the aggrivations of gumpaste getting in parts of the machine and the blade clogging makes the slightly higher price worth it to me.

On the cutncrop discount, don't forget to enter the promotion/coupon code "cake" to get the extra savings.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

I doubted I would by the cake until I read your comparison blog. Now I want the cake. I want to be able to use it for paper to. So your saying I can buy the blades or other pieces needed from the expression and use it in my cake machine to have the versitility of both machines?

Towards the end of her recent blog post, she tested it with cardstock. The cake blade didn't work well, but she then switched the blade to the one from the expression and it worked great.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #22 of 33

tiggy2: If you go to our site at www.cuttingedgecakeart.com and subscribe on the Home page in the box entitled "Get our Gumpaste Recipe" it will automatically be emailed to you.

Tobias

tiggy2 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #23 of 33

Thank you Tobias !

sugarbuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbuddy Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #24 of 33

From what I understand the Cricuit Expressions is not food safe & the Cricuit Cake is. Also the Cricuit Expression cartridges don't fit in the Cricuit Cake machine & they have cartridges specific for the Crcuit Cake.

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:26am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbuddy

From what I understand the Cricuit Expressions is not food safe & the Cricuit Cake is. Also the Cricuit Expression cartridges don't fit in the Cricuit Cake machine & they have cartridges specific for the Crcuit Cake.

Not true. All existing cartridges will work in the Cricut cake. They will be releasing a cake cartridge with the cake machine that will not be sold separately.

JenniferAtwood Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #26 of 33

Thanks everyone. My blog will not only be about the cricut, but any new cutting edge product/ method used in cake decorating. Hope everyone will join me on the adventure. If anyone would like me to try anything with either machine, please let me know. I don't mind testing either to the limits. I will only post results and let you form your own opinions.

I have had several questions regarding how we were chosen to test the Cricut Cake for Provo Craft. Our annual sales are approximately 2 million a year. We have an impeccable reputation in both the baking and decorating industries. My grandmother is a past president of ICES and just received the Wilbur Brand Memorial Service Award . My dad has been on the Retail Bakers of America board for over 18 years and is one of the very first Certified Master Bakers and Certified Decorators in the country. I am also a Certified Decorator and have competed at the state, local, and national level. I have judged the National Pillsbury Creative Decorating Competition, and was just appointed last year as the Chairman for that same competition. Over the years we have been asked to preview/test multiple products, some good, some great, and some awful. We are always honest with the public and with the company we are testing for. I believe that is why we are chosen. We will tell the company what is wrong and what we believe needs to be fixed without sugar coating the findings. With most of the products/software we test for companies, including Provo Craft, we must return the item or buy it. We have had only two companies that just let us keep the item for free. I believe that what I am doing is helping the baking/decorating community by sharing...something both my father and grandmother have instilled in me. I have decided that the best way to do so is through a blog that I hope you all enjoy.

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #27 of 33

Did you get any tips on the kinds of designs that will be on the new cartridges? Perhaps you could show us (even just the book pics) the designs on the cartridge you received.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:01pm
post #28 of 33

Odyssey - check out

http://www.cutncrop.com/Cricut-Cake-Personal-Cutter_p_184.html

click on the small thumbnail of the designs and it will enlarge for you to see the actual contents of the cartridge.

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #29 of 33

I just tried a combo of 50% gumpaste (Tobias' and Jennifer's recipe) and 50% modeling chocolate. I rolled it to a 6 on my Kitchen Aid pasta roller.

It worked great!

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #30 of 33

I'll have to try that - how's the taste???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%