Strange Request For Wedding Cake!?!?!

Decorating By MamawJ Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 2:47pm by MamawJ

MamawJ Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #1 of 16

Okay, I got a very strange request for a wedding cake. Three tiers....top and bottom tiers dark chocolate infused with Bailey's (not too strange), but they want to split the third tier half white cake and half carrot cake. Not 1 layer of each--they want the left side carrot and the right side white??? Has anyone ever done this? Is it even possible???? I have until May 1st to figure it out, but I am more stressed about trying to figure this out than I am making the cake!!! HELP?!?!?!?

15 replies
menas Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #2 of 16

You sure are a lot more accommodating than me. I would of just said no!

pattycakesnj Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 16

Yes it can be done, but if you don't normally do it, tell them you won't if you don't want to. That said, I have never heard of half carrot, half white. I have done half white and half chocolate but I would be afraid with the carrot as carrot cake has a baking history all its own. The cakes need to be similar in baking times or you are asking for disaster. To do a half and half cake, make the 2 batters and prop one end of the pan on a plate and pour into the unpropped end, then quickly remove the plate and pour the other batter into the other side of the pan. They will come together in the middle and bake.

ziggytarheel Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 16

Bake a layer of each. Split in half and stack each half and glue together with icing to make a whole tier.

?

MamawJ Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 16

I told her that I would try one and see how it turned out. But I was thinking the same thing about the texture of the two cakes. I thought that I could do it kind of like the checkerboard set, but with one "dam". I dont know about this! Good thing my husband is so accomodating to my mistakes!! LOL I will try your plate idea and cross my fingers! Thanks for the tips!

Jenthecakelady Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Bake a layer of each. Split in half and stack each half and glue together with icing to make a whole tier.

I do this all the time and it works fine. You just have to make sure that you level the cakes to the exact same height. Otherwise you'll have to make up the difference in heights with icing. (Which I have also had to do before-a real pain!)

sugarandslice Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #7 of 16

I'd suggest the same as ziggytarheel. Bake one full layer of each, cut it in half and stack it. Then just 'glue' the two sides together to make one cake. Cover it as one cake

No way would I try to bake them in the same tin

MrsPound Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 16

bake a white cake, cut it in half. bake a carrott, cut it in half, then slap them bad boys together under a love of fondant!

but, ew!

MamawJ Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #9 of 16

I thought of the splitting thing, too, but I am afraid it will split apart and topple the top tier! It's all buttercream so the extra hold of fondant doesn't help! I can't imagine that the 3 flavors would mix well, but I'm willing to try anything once, twice if I like it and 3 times to make sure!!
icon_lol.gif I guess I will be experi-baking icon_smile.gif this weekend and my husband will be eating all weekend! You girls are always so full of such good ideas! Thank you!

catlharper Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:18am
post #10 of 16

Is this the bottom tier that is the half and half? I'd be VERY careful since the carrot cake is highly unstable. By it's nature it has nuts and fruits that make for little pockets of instability. We did this once with a baby shower cake and it kept seperating at the point where the two types of cakes come together! "Sealing" it with fondant would help hold it together but I'd be worried about the supports (columns or dowels or straws) that were in the carrot cake side if there are more tiers set up on top.

ayerim979 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:49am
post #11 of 16

what if you inverst in Fat Daddio's half round pans . I might work.
LL

Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:02am
post #12 of 16

I'd probably just say "no"....Pick one flavor per tier. Its not pizza! haha

in2cakes2 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #13 of 16

Why not do as ziggytarheel says and use sps for support?

step0nmi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

?

it's just that simple! icon_lol.gif

Margieluvstobake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #15 of 16

I too would be worried about them splitting in the middle where they join. I made one like this one time (it was not carrot though). I just made up the two batters and got someone to help me. We each started pouring from the opposite ends at the same time and they met in the middle and baked up perfect.

MamawJ Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:47pm
post #16 of 16

More great advice! I didn't even know they made half rounds!!! My main concern is that this would be the middle tier of a 3 tier cake.....it's all buttercream and the reception is at a pierside restaurant!!!!! That's a disaster waiting to happen, huh???

Maybe I should just go with the "it ain't pizza" theory!!!!!! (I kinda like that!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%