Get A Second Opinion!

Lounge By tsal Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 3:53am by tsal

tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I was SO sick last week (fever, chills, etc) that I was in bed pretty much the whole week. I started to feel a little better, but my sinuses were not. Every day I would go through A TON of kleenex and developed a cough.

MIL has a connection to an ENT that she knows so I called and they squeezed me in right away. I told him that I had a lot of pain and pressure in my forehead, and he looked at me and said, 'it looks like the pain and pressure is coming from your braces.' First of all, I don't have braces, I have retainers that I've had for almost a year, so there is no pressure at this point. Then he proceeds to prescribe a steriod nasal spray and when I questioned as to whether that would really do any good for my headache, he said, 'it can't hurt - come back in 2 weeks if you are not feeling any better'. I left there with a feeling in the pit of my stomach that he was wrong, but when I told DH about it, he said, 'he does this for a living - don't be ridiculous.'

The next day I was in agony with a serious migraine. I decided to call my GP and they squeezed me in right away when I explained how much pain I was in and what I thought it was. My GP examined me and said, 'you have a sinus infection' and prescribed anitibiotics. I'm sure that tomorrow I will feel much better (it takes a couple of days to kick in). My GP said that it would have taken 3 or 4 weeks for me to fight it off on my own.

All that to say that if you feel that someone is wrong - get a second opinion. Trust your gut. I didn't tell my GP that I went to someone else first and didn't rant about the other doc. I will never go to him again though.

9 replies
jonahsmom Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #2 of 10

Absolutely get a second opinion. Story from 2006...

I found a lump and didn't say anything for about 3 weeks. Called my ob/gyn and she told me to watch it for another month! NOOOOO WAYYYY!!!! I called my GP who got me in the next morning and in for an ultrasound the morning after that. Long story short...I had grade 3 breast cancer - stage 1, but very, very aggressive and I had to have surgery, chemo, radiation and herceptin for a year.

I knew the first one wasn't right. That month could've been the difference between staying in the boob (which it did thank God!) or spreading to lymph nodes or Lord knows where else. Honestly could've been the difference between life and death!

Definitely trust your gut. Those instincts are there for a reason!!!! I'm glad you got your sinus infection figured out! I'm prone to those and they are very painful! That's why I like the GP I've seen since I was in junior high (about 18 yrs ago!). She knows me well enough to know that I know what I'm talking about! icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #3 of 10

Yes trust your instincts. I had a bike fall years ago and they sent me home with "maybe" a bruised rib. I was in TERRIBLE pain. I went home for 2 days and had all I could take. I went to the emergency room and lo and behold I had a broke rib and a separation from the sternum. There is absolutely nothing they can do about it but let it heal, but still at least I got proper pain meds and some anti inflammatory.

Sorry to hear about your sinus/headache. I get those often myself. They are miserable. Hope you feel better soon!

indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:34am
post #4 of 10

I had my wisdom teeth cut out and was in severe pain for a few days. Some friends said it was normal ... some said it wasn't. called the dentist who said "Take some aspirin".

Well, I DIDN'T listen to my gut and a few days later a piece of tooth worked it way out of my gum! icon_surprised.gif The pain was being caused by a bit of broken tooth he had left in there! As soon as it worked it way out, the pain was instantly gone.

I was pi$$ed ... and found a new dentist!

KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 10

debi, I had my wisdom teeth taken out and the dentist told me "there's more tooth up in there but I'm afraid if I pull it out it will cause a hole in your sinus cavity, but don't worry the body is amazing, it will either work itself out on it's own or your body will literally dissolve it over time"

let me just say it was INCREDIBLY painful!

ninatat Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 10

it's really hard to get rid of a sinus infection on your own, they alot of times will go into your chest, asprin after an extration isn't a good idea, your tooth need to form a clot, alot of times they will leave a piece of tooth, the piece of tooth might not have been letting the tooth clot, and will cause a dry socket, that's why they say no sucking on straws, or smoking, they realllllly hurt. i'm a former dental assistant, i had mine out in my 30's and yes it does hurt, had all 4 done, when there is still bleeding a moist tea bag is good the tanic acid will stop the bleeding. i don't blame you for the new dentist, it's unbelievable how advenced dentistry has increased, and alot of the dentists don't move up in technology, there is no reason to have any pain while in a dentist chair. some peoples teeth hurt when they have a sinus infection because their sinus's are close to the root's of their teeth. never feel that you have to stay loyal to a Dr. just because you've gone to him for years, any Dr. we went to a family Dr. for years, and my parents still go to his son, they are 86 mom was just diagonised with brain cancer, nothing to do with the family Dr. but i have seen him run test's that were not needed, he did a bone density test on my mom about 10 months ago, why to tell her her bones are better than an 86 year old woman, i hate that they us seniors for the insurance. for their Dr. i'v seen him give meds you don't give to seniors, when my dad was ill, my daughter is an R.N. then he decides to cut my dad's anti-depressent in half 4 months ago. He was very ill last year, he still get's around pretty good, my mom is so happy her radiation is 2 day's but not happy with the kemo pills for 6 more months but is unbelievable how well she is doing, they took her to the hospital christmas eve thinking a stroke, cat scan, then christmas day more, day after brain surgery, worst cancer and most of aggresive. treatable but not curable, she asked me do i have to take the pill, i said mom only you can make that decision, wow sorry guess i needed to vent. we really lucky to have out parents at this age so many don't. ok hope you feel better.

-Tubbs Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 10

What an idiot doctor! I diagnosed you with sinusitis just from your description here! I hope you feel better soon. (I had it when I was pregnant, so couldn't take much in the way of drugs and it was miserable.)

lilthorner Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #8 of 10

wow sorry about your sinus infection, but just make sure you keep watching it.. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection and given antibiotics 2 times.. Now, I am textbook with antibiotics, don't need to have them twice.. it was allergies.. I had a sore throat literally for 60 days

noahsmummy Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #9 of 10

have to say yes to trusting yoru gut. especially when it comes to your kids. my son had a nasty cough when he was about 3 months old. It was clearing up and was getting worse so i took him to the GP. Well, as soon as she opened her mouth i knew i wouldnt like her. "so where his mum?" "ummm i am?" "oh your awfully young"

grrrrr. shut your yap and do your job lady. For the record i was 18 at the time.

anyway, so she puts her stethiscope to my son, says "his chest is clear, its just a slight cold' meanwhile my son is lying in my arms rattling away.

Well, silly me didnt push the point. i took my little bub home kept him warm, got his ventilator going, etc etc. Not getting better. Still getting worse. Yup, ok. we are going straight to hospital. Long story short, he ended up on oxygen for three days. I hate to think what might of happened if i had listened to this stupid woman. i put a complaint in about her, because i just couldnt believe the whole consultation. geeez.

tsal Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:53am
post #10 of 10

Wow - some really interesting stories. I guess we have to trust our inner voice above everything.

Thanks so much for sharing your stories. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%