I Think My Whipped Ganache Is A Disaster

Baking By tsal Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm by prterrell

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

This is my first attempt at Whipped Ganache. The recipe said to heat the cream until it was 'simmering gently'. Maybe that's where my problem started. I thought that when I could see steam rising from the cream, it would be hot enough to pour over my chocolate. WRONG. I poured it over and the chocolate wasn't melting. So I put the heat back on and tried to make the best of it, and eventually, it was 'pretty' smooth (but there were teeny tiny bits of chocolate still visible.

I took it off the heat and let it sit to cool before refrigerating and it developed 'skin' - not sure if that's the right term, but that's what my mother used to call that layer that forms on hot chocolate! So, I refrigerated it anyway, and will whip it up since I hate to waste things and even if it doesn't look good, I'll still eat it.

Can someone guide me as to what I did wrong? How hot should the cream be? I was afraid that it would start to boil and it was not supposed to boil. What setting should I have put my stove? I thought simmer was a 3 or 4 max, am I wrong?

6 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 7

A simmer is when it starts to bubble slightly, not a boil/roiling boil. If you would have given the cream a little more time it would have been at a simmer shortly.
I've boiled the cream before by mistake and it will still work to make a ganache. Ok, I've done this more than a few times actually because I get busy and walk away.

I just make a regular ganache let it cool and then whip it in the mixer a little when I'm really busy.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:07am
post #3 of 7

You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave before adding it to the cream - that way you will not need to heat the cream too much. It's easier to whip if it hasn't boiled. Mine always develops a skin as well but that disappears with the whipping

tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:12am
post #4 of 7

Thank you!! I will melt the chocolate in the microwave next time - that's a smart idea. I'm happy that the skin will disappear. The recipe says not to whip it up until right before I'm ready to fill the cake, so I wouldn't have time to make another batch on the spot.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:38am
post #5 of 7

Lay a piece of saran wrap on the surface of your ganache while it cools - no skin icon_smile.gif!

tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 7

Saran Wrap!! What an awesome idea! Thank you!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 7

I always heat the cream and then pour over the chocolate and let it sit for five minutes before stirring. Also, make sure your chocolate is chopped up in little pieces!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%