Not The Typical Pricing Question

Business By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 12:30pm by JenniferAtwood

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:10am
post #1 of 8

Ok, I know there are a lot of people who get their feathers in a wad over pricing questions... so if you are one of those feel free to click the back button. I'm not asking for specific numbers here... just asking for opinions. I have a request to do a cake that will basically be totally hand painted from top to bottom. There will be some fondant accessories, but even those will need to be hand painted. I'm excited about doing the cake, I finally get to go back to my love of painting, but my question is.... where do I even start on pricing this cake? It's going to take at least twice the amount of time it would take me to do a "normal" cake...if not more! Do I charge twice as much as I would for a normal cake?.....that's going to get pretty expensive icon_confused.gif

7 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 8

I'm assuming you already know how much your cakes are when you break them down to ingredients, labor, overhead. . . etc.

So if you say that it will take you twice as long as you normally take for a cake, then double up on the labor cost.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 8

I'm not in business, but I would definitely charge more for labor. Think about it, you are going to be spending WAY more time on this cake. You'll have to communicate to the client that this request is TONS more work and so you'll have to charge them X more hours.

Don't work for free!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 8

i agree with Rose_N_Crantz!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the input. Thinking this is going to be one of those sleepless nights working on this one icon_biggrin.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #6 of 8

I can't wait to see it!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #7 of 8

I definitely add more money per more work....and if its double the work, its double the money...can't wait to see it!

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 8

When I get a request that is "different" I look and think this will take me how long .... 2 hours, 3 hours, 10 hours then multiply that times my hourly fee (labor) plus the price of the cake (cost of goods)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%