Help!!! New To Fondant... How Do I Fix?

Decorating By ampmgal81 Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 12:16am by terrylee

ampmgal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ampmgal81 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 3

So, Im trying to recreate a spiral cake i saw that is covered in fondant with cars on it for my son's 1st bday. well. i made mmf a few days ago with much success, but today when I went to use it it kept tearing. I re rolled it out 3 times each time trying to add more water to make it stretchy again. No luck. I thought maybe i was rolling it out too thin so the final attempt I rolled it to about 1/4 in and quickly placed it on the cake just to have it tear in a number of places. I forgot to chill my cake so now everything is sliding down and i don't know what to do. How can I fix this? It looks so aweful!!! I put it in the fridge hoping to salvage it. Do i toss it and start over? ARG! Help!

2 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 3

Water will not help in these situations.

I warm my MMF in the microwave then I knead it again before rolling it out.

You can try to do it again - can you pull the fondant off and wipe the frosting off of it? If so, warm it, re knead and roll out again.

I don't know if this will work or not, but if you are not happy with how it looks right now, it can't hurt to try to do it one more time. Good luck.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 3

If you are using Wilton fondant....it will get dry quickly... especially the more you re-roll...........like Loucinda said water doesn't help....try a little shortening kneeded in and soften just a bit in the micro.....I would start from scratch, new fondant...... 1/8th inch should be good for a cover. re-dirty ice you cake, let it set for a while so the icing can crust a little....and then redo the fondant....good luck.... hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%