Now I'm Realy Frustrated

Baking By cookie_me Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 12:05am by cookie_me

cookie_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_me Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 10

I'm using Toba's icing and NFSC recipe to keep things simple. I made a few test batches and evrything worked OK, hence the fotos I uploaded. Then I needit to do an order. I used the icing I had in the fridge (in a hermeticly sealed container) it was a litlle thick so I added water and brogh it back to the school glue consistency, add it color (americolor) and whent to work. Evrything looked great last night when I finished and went to bed. This morning mi icing lookes translucent in some areas and all full of hundreds of bubbles. There where none last night. Where did I go wrong ? This batch is defenetly not salvageble. Thanks in advance for your help.

9 replies
chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 10

When using glace, I ALWAYS ALWAYS add white food coloring to my icing- about a teaspoon per 2 lb of powdered sugar. It seems to eliminate the splotchiness. As far as the air bubbles, I like to take a (sterilized, icing only) pin and pop all the little bubbles as soon as my icing is down. They're hard to spot, as they're usually lurking under the surface, but if you'll learn to spot them quickly as time goes on.

I also dont refrigerate my glace, and I add milk to thin it, so I dont know what effect that may or may not have had on your icing icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:09am
post #3 of 10

Whenever possible, I spread the icing over the cookie with a tapered, off-set spatula. I've never had a bubble when using this method. Also, I always thin with corn syrup. Always let the icing come to room temperature before you plan to use it, as this will affect the consistency. I'm sure you were bummed to wake up and find the cookies in less than perfect condition!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 10

oh, I'm so sorry!

I'm not a glace user, so perhaps I'm way off base....but with royal, I like to let the icing sit for a few hours or overnight in a plastic container after mixing in the color. Mixing in color incorporates a lot of air into the icing, but after it sits, the bubbles rise to the top and I can gently stir it a very little bit before using and unless it's really thin, I get very few air bubbles that way.

cookie_me Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #5 of 10

I made a mistake when I said Toba's . I used Antonias74 Royal recipe someone metione Toba's and got cofused Sorry

cookie_me Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #6 of 10

The only thing I remember is that I ran out of meringue powder and I started a new can. Could that be it, can it be bad?

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:21am
post #7 of 10

I think it was probably refrigerating it. I know I've left mine out for over a week and it's been fine with just a gentle re-stirring. I also wait about 24 hours after making it to use it. When I've had to use it the same day, it's always FULL of air bubbles.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 10

I am so sorry to hear this! I use Antonia74's RI as well and after mixing, I tap the bowl repeatedly on the counter, let rest, tap again, gently stir, tap again, stir. I keep doing this until I feel the bubbles are gone. Depending on how much RI I am using, I will try to make sure that it is not too deep of an amount in the bowl, if that makes sense. If there are fewer inches that the bubbles have to work their way up, the better luck I have. Thus, I try to use shallow bowls. I use a decent amount of color and over time, depending on how much I use, I can find that the color will 'settle' a bit if my RI is very fluid, so I make sure to mix it well and use it before it starts to color separate. Again, that is only when I have been heavy handed with the color. The one time I did not check for the color separating, I had two color variations going.

I don't know if that helps, but the tapping really helps me. If you find that you still have a few bubbles on your cookie after that, you can pin prick them if needed. However, I find the best trick is to tap away beforehand. Again, so sorry this happened! I had a major cookie disaster one time when someone wanted to shave a day off of when they needed their cookies and I put them in the oven on a really, really low heat in order to try to dry them and get them packaged. Disaster like you would not believe and they were a ridiculously time-intensive design. I could have died. I managed to work around it as I had extras, but I learned a lot on that one! I really feel for you and I hope you have success next time! thumbs_up.gif

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 10

I use a different RI recipe. got off of here, but not sure which one it is.

3 tbs merangue powder
2 tbs clear vanilla
4 tbs water (recipe calls for this amount... i always add about 2 more tbs)
1 lb 10x sugar.

never had problems with bubbles you might want to try it. It sets up very good, but still soft enough when you eat the cookie that it doesn't break your teeth. another recipe i started out with (cream of tartar was in it) was so hard after it dried.

cookie_me Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 12:05am
post #10 of 10

This is the craziest thing, Yoly tried two cookies last night with the same two batches of icing and they are great , brite white and no bubbles Urrg Im glad I dont drink... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%