Gumpaste Figure Questions

Decorating By Odyssey Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 2:29pm by Odyssey

Odyssey Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 7

I'm planning a tiger cake somewhere in the next two weeks and I want to have a gumpaste tiger on the top, but I've never done figures before so I have a few questions.

1: Should I use a mix of fondant and gumpaste or just gumpaste?
2: If I want to paint on the colors what way can I do that? I've heard of using powder color mixed with alcohol or plain gel color, is that correct? Is one method better than another?
3: Should I use a skewer to help hold him together or will gum glue be enough?

Thanks in advance for the help, but there's still so much to learn!

6 replies
Loucinda Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 7

Don't use plain gel color, that takes forever to dry. Mix it with a high alcohol liquid (I use everclear - you can use gin, vodka, vanilla or lemon extract too)

You can use pieces of spagetti to help hold the limbs on, just make sure you tell whoever the cake is going to that they are in there.

All gumpaste will dry harder/quicker. Just make sure you knead it till it is satin smooth before making the tiger so you don't have "cracking" when it is dry.

Odyssey Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 7

Is there a ratio I should use for painting or is it just a "looks right" kind of thing?

Also do you have the same trouble painting a deep color as you do tinting the fondant or gumpaste? If so will multiple layers help or will it get too dark too quick? I'm making the assumption you should let layers dry before doing the next one.

Last one, should the figure be dry or fresh when painting?

Thanks soooo much.

Price Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 7

I like to use fondant mixed with tylose powder for modeling. I feel it give me a little longer to work then using straight gumpaste. Mixing 50/50 fondant to gumpaste would do the same thing. I paint with everclear and gel color. I put a couple of drops of color in a small cup and add just a little everclear to it. I don't really measure it.

SallyBratt Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 7

I use a mix of 50/50. When you're doing your modelling dip your fingers in water and dab it on your paste and knead it in. You'll have to grease your hands because it'll be sticky. But if you can keep your paste moist while working with it this will help to smooth out any cracks and creases that will inevitably form. I find the outside can tend to dry fairly quickly if I don't do this.

I used wooden toothpicks to help hold on arms, legs and heads. I dip them in water or gum glue before I stick them in. I just make sure I tell the customer they're in there. As I'm working I also keep some plastic wrap and a ziplock bag handy to cover my pieces so they don't dry out too much.

flakeycakey Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:21am
post #6 of 7

When painting with gel colors I use a paper plate. I place a little bit of the colors I'm working with around the plate and then use a separate small bowl or cup with vodka for dipping the brush. Sort of like water color painting if you have ever done that. You will need to change out the vodka pretty often because it takes on the color of the gel that you are working with pretty fast.

Odyssey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the tips.
It just so happens that I have dabbled in and LOVE water color painting! Unfortunately I've been diagnosed with mono, so I can't do my cake for a while. Thankfully it's only for my last Wilton class, but I had to miss my third session last night and I'm not allowed to go back to school or work for another week, so no cake. T.T I'll make it when I feel better I guess.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%