Now I Get What All The Hype Is About! Cake Balls

Decorating By sugarjones Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 3:23am by vickymacd

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, so I finally broke down and tried to make cake balls again (first time was an utter failure and disgusted me enough to wait 5 months to attempt it again).
Well, they turned out fabulous! Now I totally understand why everyone here goes crazy over them!
I made 22 of them and planned on including a few in cupcake orders and giving some to my best customers but now I've gone an eaten all but 8 of those damn things!!
I'm afraid that if I put these on the menu, I will not only weigh 250 lbs but I will never have any product to deliver! haha
Guess I'll just make more and try to stay away from them like the plague until I hand them out icon_smile.gif
But I just wanted to tell you all that "I get it"! They rock!

15 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 16

i still haven't had much luck with them icon_sad.gif
I can never get the consistency right.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 16

Cakeballs are FABULOUS! Everytime I've made them people go wild over them. They are everything yummy rolled into one little ball!!!!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 16

jmr531- check out the cake ball thread. Lots of help in there. add only 1 tbsp of binder at a time.

Glad they worked out for you@

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 16

sugarjones...what flavor(s) did you make?

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks Sweetheart. I did see that thread before, but got discouraged from reading it because it has so many pages ... lol. I'll stop being lazy and check it out.

By the way sugarjones...congrats! Sorry I forgot to say that earlier icon_smile.gif

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 16

sugarjones, Welcome to the Cake Ball Fan Club! icon_biggrin.gif

I usually have to divide them up into separate containers for "customers", "general consumption" and "private stash"!

Have fun playing around with different flavor combinations. thumbs_up.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 16

oh yeah... i know what youre feeling.... my office is addicted to cake any day of the week but say cake balls and they come running

i even joined the "i have frozen cake in the freezer for cake balls" club

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

sugarjones...what flavor(s) did you make?

My first batch was made with my chocolate cake recipe and regular buttercream dipped in regular old chocolate. These are my fave for sure!
The second batch was vanilla butter cake mixed with crushed oreos and cream cheese BC dipped in regular chocolate but I topped them with either nuts, crushed Heath bars or drizzled them in melted peanut butter chips.
I did only need a teeny bit of BC though (maybe 3-4 T). My major malfunction the first time was I added WAY too much frosting and they were a blobby mess (and of course I didn't have more cake to add to fix it!)
I "heart" cake balls! Now, I only need to convince myself that they're gross so I can actually get them out the bakery door! haha

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:37am
post #10 of 16

I've made them a couple of times and everyone certainly loved them. Now, if only I could get the chocolate coating to be smooth and uniform!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:44am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

I've made them a couple of times and everyone certainly loved them. Now, if only I could get the chocolate coating to be smooth and uniform!

i was given advise to use paramount crystals and it def did the trick in thinning out the chocolate and getting a nice glossy shine to it

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:32am
post #12 of 16

Man, those sound delicious, sugarjones!

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:37am
post #13 of 16

For the longest time I had trouble getting the consistency right as well. I found out I was adding way too much binder/icing. I cut that way back..in fact because my cakes are so moist I discovered I didn't really need any at all. Since then I love the way they turn out...

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #14 of 16

I still don't get all the rave about cake balls. We've made them at home and I've had some from the French pastry shop. My friends and I don't like them or the WASC cake either, but that's just our opinion.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #15 of 16

For the longest time I had trouble getting the consistency right as well. I found out I was adding way too much binder/icing. I cut that way back..in fact because my cakes are so moist I discovered I didn't really need any at all. Since then I love the way they turn out...

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:23am
post #16 of 16

I am not a fan of cake balls, but when I take them into work, they go crazy for them. Don't get excited, I work with vultures. I could frosting on ____ and they would eat it.
Anyway, I also keep a bag in my freezer and throw in the cake scraps for cake balls. BUT the best ones I've make are the chocolate ones I made that I also threw in leftover brownies. It was cake with a chewy bite to it. Delicious. So, don't leave out brownies in that bag of cake scraps!

And as far as smooth chocolate, I throw in some Crisco into my chocolate while melting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%