Legal/illegal

Decorating By kandyc10 Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 12:44am by MamawJ

kandyc10 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 5

This is just a personal statement that I hope someone can find helpful. I have not decorated cakes long. My first one was in October of '09, a Halloween cake for my son to take to his carnival. I have averaged one a month since. I am in my late 30's and can honestly say I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up, lol! I now eat and sleep cake! icon_biggrin.gif

My first reaction to my new found dream was to start making cakes and selling them and make the world a better place for me and my family. Then I found Cake Central and my eyes were opened wide to the reality of the Caking Business. I was like all other newbies, having no idea, but now thanks to CC I know. The realization that I could not make cakes out of my home and sell them was honestly hard to get over. I kept racking my brain to legally and morally get around this thing they call government, lol.

I have spent lots and lots of hours thinking about this and in doing so have come to a scary realizaiton. Now, please know I am more than aware of the long, exhausting, sometimes painful hours spent putting a cake together. I have stacked two cakes and with each one I did not go to bed at all on Friday because I needed them ready for Saturday. I would honestly give my cake away just so I could continue to do what I love and learn and appreciate every chance to practice. Yes, I do want to open my own business....someday. Reality is that I can't now, I work full time and my youngest child will be a Senior next year. I am doing all I can to try and change the laws in my state, but for now , if someone I know wants me to make them a cake, I would love to and their happiness over a cake I made is enough payment for me... for now. Instead of shopping for clothes or things for my home, what money I have free to spend as i so choose goes to cake!

After reading alot of threads on this extremely touchy subject I felt like telling my story for what it's worth, lol. If you read down this far, thanks. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 5

I totally understand what you are saying. I have two small children and all my spare time goes to doing cakes on weekends. I'd love to make this my "real" job, but the time is just not right. Best Wishes in the future.

jillmakescakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 5

Have you considered looking up your local Free Cakes for Kids chapter? This is an organization that works with the local shelters to provide homeless children with a birthday cake.

This would be a great way to try new things, learn/practice your skills and create a portfolio while you plan out your dream.

kandyc10 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 5

That is a great idea jillmakescakes, I am going to look into that. Thanks so much!

MamawJ Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 5

I felt the same way--full time job, raising my 4 year old grandson. Everyone has been telling me years I should be selling my cakes, then I discovered carving & sculpting!! I am in for the long haul, I think! I started doing the same thing, making cakes for family and friends and only charging for cost. Then my son's boss gave me an idea: I use his restaurant to bake my cakes then do most all of the carving & decorating at home! Maybe not quite the right way, but I really love doing cakes and watching the expressions on the peoples faces! I even started my portfolio with the cake on the left and the client with the cake on the right! Keep doing what you love to do and it will work out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%