Cap Brim--Will It Wilt If Sitting On Buttercream?

Decorating By elvis Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 10:46pm by elvis

elvis Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 3

I have dried my baseball cap brim, made from gum paste over an actual baseball cap brim. It is strong enough to hold it's shape...but I'm worried that it may "wilt" tomorrow, since it will be resting on top of a buttercream frosted cake, rather than a fondant cake.

Should I instruct my customer to just add it right before the event? Or am I worrying for nothing? In the past, I've had fondant decorations lose their shape after the fondant absorbed the mositure from the cake.

Thanks for any help!

2 replies
jammjenks Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 3

How long has it been drying?

In my experience, if it has dried until it is rock-hard, it will be fine in contact with bc.

elvis Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to prepare this one. I kneaded in a bunch of CMC powder as I prepared the gum paste and so now, after 24 hours, the bill is hard and can stand on it's own.

I'll assemble it tomorrow & hopefully it will hold up on the buttercream. If anyone had a horror story, I was going to find another way to support it from beneath the bill---and I may still do that. Luckily, I have a spare bill!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%