I'm Gonna Throw This Cricut Out The Window!

Decorating By AngelaM Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 12:32am by TobiasWilhelm

AngelaM Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I'll be the first to say it. I HATE MY CRICUT! I am SO beyond frustrated with trying to get this thing to cut fondant/gumpaste. I can cut just about anything else with it. I use fondant with tylose, let it sit to harden. Tried 5, 10, 15 minutes, none worked. Deep cut blade, different settings, rolled very thin with my KA roller. It just keeps dragging the gumpaste around. I've been messing around with this thing for over a month. UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Somebody PLEASE help me before I go insane! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
TobiasWilhelm Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 6

Let's see if we can't save your sanity - first of all, if you could, I recommend making the gumpaste recipe I posted here yesterday at least once. Since I know it works, it takes GP problems out of the mix and it will give you an idea of what your fondant should look like.

Secondly - define dragging around. Can you post pics of what is going wrong?

If you want, you can also PM me and I will give you my cell number and we can discuss that way.

Don't throw it just yet ...

Tobias

Joanne1944 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

Someone on here suggested candy clay. Has anyone tried that>

AngelaM Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:15am
post #4 of 6

Ok so I tried it with straight gumpaste instead of fondant with tylose, and had some success. The cuts aren't perfectly sharp, but it's definitely progress! I used Satin Ice gumpaste rolled to a 2 on my Kitchenaid pasta roller, speed 3, pressure 4, and deep cut blade on 6. I've read on the other threads that people are using fondant with tylose successfully though. Maybe I'll try the suggestion of letting the fondant/tylose set overnight and try it again. I just prefer to use fondant because I can buy it already colored. I didn't really want to have to color my gumpaste each time I want to use the Cricut.

foxymomma521 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaMcClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM

Ok, I'll be the first to say it. I HATE MY CRICUT! I am SO beyond frustrated with trying to get this thing to cut fondant/gumpaste. I can cut just about anything else with it. I use fondant with tylose, let it sit to harden. Tried 5, 10, 15 minutes, none worked. Deep cut blade, different settings, rolled very thin with my KA roller. It just keeps dragging the gumpaste around. I've been messing around with this thing for over a month. UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Somebody PLEASE help me before I go insane! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Have you watched my DVD? It does sound like a gum paste issue, but there could be other problems with the proper blade and pressure settings.

I just got my Cricut yesterday, and your DVD is on my want list icon_wink.gif What kind of techniques do you go over?

TobiasWilhelm Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6

We found that adding vegetable gum to the fondant/tylose mixture works much better on the cutting. I actually modified some chocolate fondant that way and we used it for monograms. Letting the fondant sit for at least an hour after adding the tylose helps the tylose do its magic - especially if you are using it to add "stretch" rather than as a drying agent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%