Topsy-Turvy Servings

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm by hsmomma

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 7

How do you figure out the number of servings for a Topsy-turvy cake? I Have only done one, and it was for my son and his class and families, so exact number of servings weren't important. I am doing a 3 tiered one in a couple of weeks for 120 teenagers, and I am not the one cutting it, so is there a chart that someonw has that they can share, or is there a guideline?
TIA
Kerri

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 7

assuming that you construct yours the way I construct mine (w/ 3 layers of 2" cake, tapered in towards the bottom)

I charge per the servings my middle tier would yield...So if one cake is 9",8",7" tapered down, I would say it serves the same as a normal 8" even though it's 3 layers, most people are still going to cut the pieces the same width regardless of height! However to offset this, I charge a higher per/serv. price for topsy turvy cakes.

My regular 4" high tiered cakes are $2.25/serv. topsy turvy are $3.25/serv.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 7

I'm actually Just about to watch my Totally Topsy Turvy DVD that Sugarshack put out (just got it last week) icon_smile.gif

When I did my Topsy Turvy, it was only my Second "real ordered" cake, although not charged for since I'm in OK, but the way I figured up the I didn't do the tapering, so I used 3" high stacked 3 times for each layer--if you ask me it was a lot of cake if they cut it traditionally. I figured up the servings to be what the pan yields normally, HOWEVER, now looking back I'd say I should of said it was double the servings, as I would cut the cake normal, and then in half for one serving. Hopefully that makes sense. So if it was 38 servings when normally done, I would of counted it as 76 for one tier.

Now, at the end of this DVD is a cutting/serving guide, so I'll get back with you if I watch something different than what is already said here.

sable905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sable905 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #4 of 7

Was there anything new in the DVD? I too am trying to figure out what size tiers to make for a cake to feed 150 ppl. Maybe I'll just add one more tier to compensate? [/list]

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #5 of 7

Nope nothing new. She still cuts them teh same 1x1-ish. On the big side she cuts that a little different. You'd really have to see the DVD to see it. But I'd say if the cake usually yields 38 then I'd do 38+19 (half) because of the taller side is more cake--but only half (ish) of it is taller. icon_smile.gif JMO

sable905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sable905 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 7

Do you mean add 19 servings ? I have to make one to feed 150 ppl, should I make it for 169?

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 7

For charging purposes, I use the sizes of pan to go by. For example: 130 servings (before being carved) x price per serving.

For my clients to figure out how many servings they need, I tell them we will figure 15% being carved away. That way they pay for the cake that I am baking but, know that by the time it is carved into it's shape that it will serve less guests. It's not an exact science but, it gives them a rough count. It all depends on how it is being cut too. The person cutting the cake will actually determine how many servings. I always leave a chart that says this cake will feed at least 110. (for example) But, as with any cake order, they can certainly add more servings by increasing the size if they are in doubt if they would need enough.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%