Box Cakes Or Scratch Cakes.

Baking By officialamysue Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm by JanH

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 4

How many of you use Box cake mixes or do it from scratch?
I'm trying to figure out how I want to do my stuff but also dont want people to recognize that I would use the boxes from the store. Which is better and why??

3 replies
chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 4

Let the insanity begin! LOL! This should be fun!

Just an FYI, this topic WILL get heated. I, for one, use box mixes because I like reliable results and the moistness of the cake. You can add different flavors and extracts to your box cakes to alter them, you can add a box of flavored instant pudding, or different extracts, purees, zests, juice, sweetened condensed milk. Do a search for it on here and you will find tons of enhanced recipes. Many swear that only scratch baking will do, but I never found a scratch recipe I liked. But apparently the science of scratch baking says I am not doing it right. I just find scratch cakes relatively flavorless and dry, dry, dry. But then again, I do not profess to be a baker, I just enjoy decorating the dang things! LOL! I wish I could produce a great tasting scratch cake, but I don't think it is a reality for me. I always get compliments and raves on the taste of my cakes, which I cannot take full credit for, Duncan Hines gets the props there! But sometimes I do add other things to the mix to make it more mine. It may not be fully home made but in my mind, they are just throwing the flour,sugar, etc. in a box for me for ease, I must still add eggs, and butter or oil, plus anything else I want to make new flavors, so to me, it is semi himemade.

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 4

I was thinking about the same thing, I have ideas just want to test it.. I have tried making scratch... dries very easily and in my opinion buying all the stuff is really expensive.. wholesale or not. Local grocery stores have given me special discounts on their boxed mixes and I have thought about going for it! More profit that way I can assume. Thanks for your opinion, would love to hear more!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialamysue

Hello, I'm new to this website and holy addiction batman! its really addicting.. first thing i have to check once i hop online!! okay any way that doesnt matter but is surely truth spoken!

I am currently building a cupcake line and I just got an order to do 250 cupcakes for graduation. The thing is I ONLY do jumbo cupcakes nothing smaller than that.

I need pricing so bad! Not sure how to price these... individually or by bulk or what?! The businesses in the city are not even worth to buy from they use cake mixes and I do everything from scratch. If anyone could help me with pricing that would be fantastic!!!

THANKS!

Amysue.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669871-.html

So you only bake from scratch - but now you're not sure.

Here are previous scratch vs. mix threads:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596517-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%