Leaves For A Pineapple

Decorating By madhousewife Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm by Win

madhousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhousewife Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 13

My daughter picked out a cake that has a pineapple on top with the leaves sticking off the top. I made the cake but I just can't figure out how to do the leaves. In the photo of the cake she picked it looks like fondant is what the leaves are made of. I made some, even let it air dry for a few hours and they still wilted over.

HELP!! icon_smile.gif

Attached is a picture of the cake she wants.
LL

12 replies
officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 13

try molding chocolate, i know those wont wilt over? not sure whats causing yours to wilt over but that could be green dyed white molding chocolate.

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 13

My partner and I just made a cake like this. I made the leaves out of a fondant/gumpaste mixture and let them dry overnight and they worked fine. Fondant on its own is probably not strong enough to stand up, so try mixing it with gumpaste AND letting them dry longer. The modeling chocolate is also a great idea and should work with no problem. HTH

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 13

Try making them out of gumpaste or add tylose to your fondant - they'll dry harder.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 13

I made some out of chocolate...so simple. I just literally dumped melted chocolate onto some wax paper and when it was almost completely set up but still kinda soft, I took a knife and just cut the leaf shapes all over the chocolate, let it finish firming up and then broke away the pieces and had leaves.

Here is the cake I used them on.
LL

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 13

I made my leaves from gumpaste, but attached them with white chocolate tinted green. A pineapple has a little base from which the leaves sprout, so that is what I did... made a thicker base and stuck the leaves in concentrically. The chocolate firms up beautifully. I traveled with this cake for two hours and the leaves never budged.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1450741

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 13

I used candy clay, let them dry a day, and they still wilted. I like Khalstead's idea or gumpaste/fondant.

madhousewife Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you all!! I will try some of these ideas! I have 2 1/2 weeks left til the party so I still have time to experiment. I will just save the pineapple part on my practice cake and let her eat the bottom rounds instead. hehe

madhousewife Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 13

Ok, one more question. icon_smile.gif Do you all make your own gumpaste from scratch? Buy it already made? Or use the mix like the one Wilton makes?

Sorry I am a gumpaste virgin! icon_razz.gif

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 13

I use the Wilton mix. Works great every time and I don't have to clean up a huge mess from making it - I'm on a tight budget so this is cheaper to me than buying it pre-made - probably more expensive than making it from scratch, but worth it to me.

Win Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhousewife

Ok, one more question. icon_smile.gif Do you all make your own gumpaste from scratch? Buy it already made? Or use the mix like the one Wilton makes?

Sorry I am a gumpaste virgin! icon_razz.gif

I use the Wilton "Ready to Use" in the plastic package with the flowers on it. It runs about 8.99 in my area, but I use a 40% or 50% coupon from Hobby Lobby or Michaels/Joann's and get it quite inexpensively. I love it. I use it for all my gumpaste projects.

Link to a picture of the Wilton Gumpaste:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=1091E8A6-423B-522D-F5E738B4AF659451&killnav=1

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 13

I buy CK gumpaste in a powder form and you just add water and knead. It makes about 8oz. of gumpaste and it's $2.49 at my local party store

Win Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I buy CK gumpaste in a powder form and you just add water and knead. It makes about 8oz. of gumpaste and it's $2.49 at my local party store

Sigh. I wish I had a really good supply store like that nearby. The few we have that are true supply stores are so far behind the times. It would be so great to have a ready source of products other than what is available in hobby stores. Otherwise, I have to order off the internet and postage just makes it crazy.

OBTW, Tina, I have actual pencils with no points on each end --inscribed with your siggy! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%