Heath Toffee Bits Baked Into A Cheesecake - Will That Be Ok?

Baking By maggiev777 Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm by mkolmar

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make this cheesecake, but instead of peanut butter I want to put some Heath Toffee bits in it:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Peanut-Butter-Cup-Cheesecake-147444
I'm trying to figure out how best to do it. Should I just put them on top only? What will happen if I put some in the cheesecake before baking? Will they be okay?

3 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 4

It should be fine mixed in. I make a lot of different kinds of cheesecakes and some of them have crushed peanut butter cups, mini m&M's, mini chocolate chips, crushed nuts....etc. mixed in.
I've never done Heath, but I'm sure it will be fine. I would not put them on top to bake though since a cheesecake bakes for a longer time.
Since cheesecakes can crack somewhat easily during baking I wouldn't open up the oven towards the end of the baking to add them either. If it where me I would make a ganache to cover the set and chilled cheesecake in and then sprinkle more Heath bits on top. Let that cheesecake sit for a minimum of 24 hours before serving.

* make sure to toss the Heath bits lightly in flour before folding them in or they will sink to the bottom.

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

* make sure to toss the Heath bits lightly in flour before folding them in or they will sink to the bottom.

I agree, BUT I make a cheesecake that once I've baked the crust but before putting in the cheese mixture, I sprinkle crumbled pralines in the bottom and then pour in the cheese mixture. Bake as normal. Don't know why you couldn't do the same with the Heath bits.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 4

You can do that with heath bits also. Heath tends to be a little more crunchy and even sharp at times to eat. I would try to disperse them more through out the cheesecake for this reason. Softer foods like chocolate chips you can do this with no problem, I'm just not sure how a harder candy will be to eat. Then again, it might be perfectly fine. I might have to try a cheesecake with Heath sometime.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%