How To Choose Connections

Business By saberger Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm by dalis4joe

saberger Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 12

I created a beautiful "Package of Introduction" for some venues that I want to know about my biz. It includes a couple of samples and my brochure & biz card. I've looked around and found venues, but they all have wedding cakes already included in their packages with their pastry chefs. Do I still go there or Do I find somewhere else to go?

I also wanted to drop brochures at nail salons, hair salons, and dress shops. Am I missing anywhere? Should I bring it to churches as well?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

11 replies
-Tubbs Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 12

This is a great idea - I have been thinking of something similar since my business hasn't really taken off yet. I was thinking of all those places, but also photographers, florists, equipment rental places and caterers.

Would you be prepared to share what is in your package, please...?

indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 12

You need to build relationships with other wedding vendors.

saberger Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 12

Wedding vendors - meaning photographers, florists, etc? Should they all get a 'taster' or only the bigger ones? Or perhaps, a smaller taster?

jillmakescakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, photographers, DJs, planners, florists, officiants, reception venues that don't have in house caterers. All of these connections will help. Is there a networking group- in your area? If so, join it. I'm part of a great group and we send business back and forth all the time. It's great.

Also, introduce yourself to the other cake places in town. Take them your product (on a Mon or Tuesday when it is likely to be the least busiest) and introduce yourself. Find out of there are things they do that you won't or vice versa. I'm pleased to say that I have a good working relationship with several cake places in my area and its worked out for the best for me.

-Tubbs Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

Also, introduce yourself to the other cake places in town.

Yes, I plan on doing this too, partly because I am nut-free, and I would like them to have someone to whom they can refer nut-free customer requests.

jillmakescakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #7 of 12

Tubbs- if you are nut-free (not me, too many on the family tree icon_lol.gif ) then I would consider contacting the specialty markets that might cater to the "allergy crowd" They might let you put a notice up or something. You might also touch base with a few allergists/doctors to see if they might let you put a tri-fold brochure in their office.

jillmakescakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #8 of 12

Saberger- take them all some samples, I'd suggest cupcakes. Take a look at their websites, are they multi-person operations? if so, take a dozen cuppies to share with the whole staff.

for the networking group that I'm in, I volunteered to bring cupcakes to one of our meetings. Not only did I get to give them to the other vendors, but I gave them to the staff at our meeting location. Great for business!

Also, when I was getting ready to lauch my Cake Bites, one of the ladies from the group brought them to a Women's meeting she was having and solicited feedback for me. Its been great.

The best part is hearing a bride say "so-and-so said you were the best and that I shouldn't look anywhere else." I've had 3 brides book without a meeting/tasting/anything because of these referrals.

kiki07 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #9 of 12

Take them anyway. When the venue cannot fulfill an events food requirements, (think nut-free, kosher, halal) they often allow you to bring your cake/ desserts from an outside bakery. They keep lists of these bakeries for this reason.

-Tubbs Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

Tubbs- if you are nut-free (not me, too many on the family tree icon_lol.gif ) then I would consider contacting the specialty markets that might cater to the "allergy crowd" They might let you put a notice up or something. You might also touch base with a few allergists/doctors to see if they might let you put a tri-fold brochure in their office.

Good ideas. Thanks!

cakesweetiecake Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 12

Great ideas in this thread!

dalis4joe Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Great ideas in this thread!

Ditto

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%