Best Way To Make Smbc Super Smooth?

Decorating By tsal Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 5:58pm by CakeandDazzle

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:46am
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I'm so impressed by the way that crusting buttercreams can look as flawless as fondant, and I'm wondering if it is possible to achieve that flawless look with SMBC? Everyone raves about my SMBC as it is not as sweet as traditional buttercream so I would prefer to keep this as my standard recipe, and i'd like to perfect my technique.

Anyone have any advice?

7 replies
cpastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpastrychef Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 8

Hi I am pretty new to the forums but not to cakes. Although I have never heard of crusting butter cream. I assume you mean that after you apply it it crusts over a bit due to the confectioners sugar and gives the appearance of fondant.

I love the SMB also. It is smoother and softer and less sweet like you said. The best way that I know to smooth out the buttecream is with a hot spatula. That is my best advice on that.

Lorelie

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 8

hi cpastrychef, do you freeze the frosted cake before you use the hot spatula on SMBC?

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 8

i use one smbc... crumb coat lightly first, put in the fridge, then really ice it... smooth out as best as possible, then take super hot (i use almost boiling) and take a bench scraper dip in water and press lightly to melt it perfect. make sure you do this before putting in the fridge because it will streak the colors if not white... hth

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 8

Cakeanddazzle: just so I understand, you crumbcoat, refrigerate then ice it and use then use the hot spatula in the icing? Isn't the icing already at room temp? Wouldn't that melt it?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 8

That is what makes it smooth - the hot spatula slightly melting it.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 8

Here's a great response from antonia74 on another thread, she uses IMBC, but I think it'll work for SMBC too: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-615497-smoothing.html

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 8

yeah it only slightly melts it, not so that it is dripping off the cake! works beautifully!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%