History Of Groom Cake???

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 2:36pm by mim1106

jayne1873 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:24am
post #1 of 6

Hi
After seeing lots of Groom cakes on here (marvalous ones I might add) i just wondered hat is the traditional behind the groom having his own cake? At weddings in the UK there is just the one cake. Just me being nosey.

thanks

5 replies
Aliwis000 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 6

From what I understand it is more popular in the southern US but in pockets elsewhere as well. I live in Texas and have never been to a wedding (even a shot gun one icon_smile.gif ) that did not have a grooms cake! Hope this is a start!

Enchantedcakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 6

The old southern tradition goes like this: While the wedding cake or brides cake was eaten at the wedding reception, the groom's cake, which was usually a fruitcake, was taken home as a wedding favor (thinly sliced pieces in personalized bags or boxes) for the unmarried female guests to put under their pillows. Supposedly, the women would dream of their future husbands.

jayne1873 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 6

Aw sweet tradition, thanks for that Enchantedcakes

2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

The old southern tradition goes like this: While the wedding cake or brides cake was eaten at the wedding reception, the groom's cake, which was usually a fruitcake, was taken home as a wedding favor (thinly sliced pieces in personalized bags or boxes) for the unmarried female guests to put under their pillows. Supposedly, the women would dream of their future husbands.

Love it - if I put a slice of fruitcake under my pillow - my 2 little piggy schnauzers would be digging under the pillow to get to it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mim1106 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

Love it - if I put a slice of fruitcake under my pillow - my 2 little piggy schnauzers would be digging under the pillow to get to it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_biggrin.gif Iwas thinking the same thing about my babies, too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%