Can I Use Whip Cream Frosting Under Fondant?

Decorating By juniecakes Updated 26 Apr 2013 , 10:52am by nomcaca

juniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juniecakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:07am
post #1 of 12

I was asked to make a babyshower cake this weekend. I decided to make the cake with the boobs and belly, anyway these people really want whipcream and I'm wondering if I can use it under fondant or will it make a mess ?

11 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:33am
post #2 of 12

No, it will melt the fondant from the back, make it weep and get sticky, and "deflate" under the weight of the fondant, soaking into the cake.

Rae

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:17am
post #3 of 12

I use it all the time - it depends on what brand of fondant you are using and what measures you take to protect it. Ballinas fondant does not need any protection and MMF works fine as well. You can use all other brands over whipped cream but you need to brush a coating of cooking oil or similar on the side that will touch the cake. This will creat a barrier and the fondant will be just as fine as when you put it on BC.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 12

I make a stablized WC with 10x sugar and all goes well.

juniecakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 12

minniecuppie would you please share your recipe w/me? I'm sure glad I asked before I made the cake. I would of been in trouble

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 12

Here it is... 4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream...1 1/4 cups powdered sugar (I sift the sugar to ensure it is lump free) Place your bowl and whisk in the freezer for a bit. Whip cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Add PS and whip until thoroughly combined. You should end up with stiff peaks. I sometimes add flavorings during the first whip. Current faves are LorAnn products. I use this recipe for my Tuxedo Cake and the leftovers have stayed stable for 3 days in cold part of my fridge.

juniecakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much! I have a whipcream bday cake in March and I was kinda nervous but this sounds great thanks again

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 12

I just did my last wedding cake with whip cream frosting and fondant AND it sat in the sun and was absolutely fine and delicious!

Rosie012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie012 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 12

Can I use "Cool Whip Frosting" under fondant?

sweetheart1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart1978 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 12

Minicuppie, i'm really glad i read your recipe. I'm very new to this but love experimenting with cake making. i just wanted to ask you what PS is- probably sound really silly right? and this is used under fondant covering the cake yes?

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 12

Aps = powdered sugar

nomcaca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nomcaca Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 10:52am
post #12 of 12

Great thread!! thank you everyone for all the info I'm in the same position, been asked to use whipped cream for the first time under fondant :) Cake central is my favourite place in the world LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%