Is All Ap, Bleached Enriched Flour The Same?

Baking By emilyc262 Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 1:45pm by TracyLH

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:35am
post #1 of 6

I've never had a problem with NFSC until today. My cookies spread all over the place. Only change was I used Harvest flour from the 25lb bag that I got at Costco. I usually use whatever AP bleached from the grocery that is on sale. Only change was the flour but I thought AP flour was all the same. Anyone know what the difference is? Are AP, enriched, bleached flours suppose to be the same? I'm annoyed. I mixed up 4 batches and just baked one. Not sure what to do with the rest.

5 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:52am
post #2 of 6

I have a link saved that describes the different types of flour. Maybe this will help you.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/FlourTypes.htm

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:59am
post #3 of 6

That is interesting- especially about the storage of it. Didn't know that about freezing to kill bugs (grosss) and wheat flour.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if AP bleached flour varies from brand to brand. Do some brands have fillers or something that would mess up my results? Or did I just have one of those days. Probably the lattericon_smile.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:29am
post #4 of 6

I am sure there are small variations from brand to brand but I wouldn't think it was enough to cause major changes in how a cake bakes. I suppose the only way to tell is try it again with another brand.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:57am
post #5 of 6

I do know they can differ in gluten percentages...as long as they fall between a certain range, they're considered a/p...some are higher than others in that acceptable range.

I have found that when I make things using the a/p flour from the bulk bags from Sam's, some are less successful than others...two of my yeast bread recipes and my biscuits totally flop every time I use that flour for them (I keep telling myself it ain't the flour and try it again only to be disappointed and have to remake them with g/m a/p)....g/m is my brand of choice. Maybe it's the bulk quantities that's the problem....?

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 6

I tested a variety of flours and did see a difference in crumb and a bit in flavor. After testing, my favorite is also Gold Medal Unbleached AP flour. I just liked it best for its overall results and use it exclusively for my cookies, weighing my flour each time as it gives me consistent results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%