New To Fondant

Decorating By keonicakes Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 10:01pm by keonicakes

keonicakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 3

What is the simplest way of creating fondant swags and drapes? I'm making my little girls cake and the bottom tier will be the drapes (verticle) and the 2nd tier will be swags with gumpaste flowers at the joints. I have never done these before and really need some advice. Also, what do you find holds gumpaste decorations onto fondant the best? I will be traveling an hour with the cake. Will post pics when I'm done. (carousel with mermaids)
Thanx ladies and gents.
Amy

2 replies
catlharper Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:20am
post #2 of 3

Ok, so take a rectangle the length of the swag you want to create. Line up three straws on the table side by side by side then gently lay the fondant on top of the straws. Give this about a half hour to set, dry out a bit, then gently move the straws together thus making your swag or drape. You can then slide the straws out from under. Gently pinch the ends and lift the drape and place on cake. Obviously you can do this with several pieces at the same time and it helps if you leave a tiny bit of the straw sticking out under so you can grab it out. As for glue for gumpaste...you can either use raw eggwhites or make a glue out of powdered gumpaste/water. Both work very well. As for attaching fondant swags you can use buttercream, RI or water. I usually just use water and press it to the cake gently for about a minute or so. I have known people who then stuck a toothpick in to hold it a bit more and then later came back and covered the joining area with a flower.HTH

keonicakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 3

that helps a lot. Thank you so much.
Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%