Thoughts On Being Filmed For A "project" By A Stra

Business By SweetArt Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 5:29pm by costumeczar

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 14

I live in a college town. I've gotten many calls or e-mails for interviews about running a cake biz, job shadowing, etc. Yesterday I got a call from a lady that wanted to film me making a cake, "from start to finish" for a class of hers. I asked her what she meant by that and she said she wanted to film me mixing, baking, assembling, icing, and decorating the cake. She said she's seen them do it on TV and knows that it is sometimes a process that takes a couple of days, but she can only come in this Friday to do the whole thing. icon_confused.gif

I was kind of shocked by this request. I've always stopped to help those who ask and answer all their questions, but this seemed different. Like I was supposed to bend over backwards, re-arrange my cake baking and decorating schedule, and let her film all my cake techniques/secrets. I told her that it wouldn't fit into my schedule this week.

How would you feel about this?

13 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 14

If she's seen it on tv why can't she just use that film? How is she going to compensate you for your time?

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 14

Yeah... that just wouldnt happen, lol!

I *might* consider agreeing to allowing someone to come in for a few days if I had a (verifiable) letter from the professor/school so that I could see that it is a legitimate assignment. I would also make them sign a non-disclosure and non-compete agreement. I DEFINITELY wouldnt re-arrange my whole schedule for anyone without substantial compensation.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetArt

I live in a college town. I've gotten many calls or e-mails for interviews about running a cake biz, job shadowing, etc. Yesterday I got a call from a lady that wanted to film me making a cake, "from start to finish" for a class of hers. I asked her what she meant by that and she said she wanted to film me mixing, baking, assembling, icing, and decorating the cake. She said she's seen them do it on TV and knows that it is sometimes a process that takes a couple of days, but she can only come in this Friday to do the whole thing. icon_confused.gif

I was kind of shocked by this request. I've always stopped to help those who ask and answer all their questions, but this seemed different. Like I was supposed to bend over backwards, re-arrange my cake baking and decorating schedule, and let her film all my cake techniques/secrets. I told her that it wouldn't fit into my schedule this week.

How would you feel about this?

Absolutely NOT! I would never allow anyone into my kitchen, period!
You've spent years developing your recipes and your art for someone to come and get it all in one day???
This request doesn't seem legitimate to me.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:44am
post #5 of 14

Our store is literally next door to the journalism school and the Art school at UNC, and we get requests like this all the time. We do it almost all the time if we can make it work. One, my husband is a PhD and was an English/Films professor and so we try to help students with these types of projects, but one thing to remember is that ALL of these college students are going to get graduation cakes and wedding cakes, and if they end up emotionally invested in your company, that is a good thing.

We are hosting one college student right now, who ended up blogging about her first visit here :

http://www.livelaugheat.com/

and the traffic on our website spiked by about 30% for a few days, so it ends up being good advertising from time to time.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 14

I would tell her that you charge $100/hr. and what time would she like to start?

By the way, some of the bigger cake artists do offer "shadowing" and it's like hundreds of dollars per hour and you have to sign a waiver that you won't implement any of their techniques that you may have picked up while shadowing!

So I guess they could sue you if you went and opened up a new shop using their techniques?

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:23am
post #7 of 14

I agree w/the others! Especially on a Friday and all in one day. She should work around your schedule not hers. No secrets need to be revealed. Just do basic (gereric) w/no labels etc. No was a good answer!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 14

I don't have a problem with someone wanting to come in and film. I DO have a problem with the expectation that you should work around their schedule. If you want to see me do a cake from start to finish then you need to be here on the days that I am doing it. Not when it's convienent for you.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I don't have a problem with someone wanting to come in and film. I DO have a problem with the expectation that you should work around their schedule. If you want to see me do a cake from start to finish then you need to be here on the days that I am doing it. Not when it's convienent for you.

I would agree with a previous poster who wanted a letter from the school....also I would agree that if she wants you to let her film for free, then she needs to use HER time...NOT yours. If she wants you to clear a place in the schedule, then she needs to compensate you for the time you are using for her that you could be using on other things.

That's pretty rude to say "I need to film you, but I need you on MY schedule." I'd be like "Go find someplace else, you spoiled rotten teenager." haha.

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 14

I just graduated a year ago from college, and I did a lot of work with local business. But I would NEVER expect someone to work around MY schedule when they were being gracious enough to help me with my project in the first place. It's one thing to help a student snarkybaker has a point about Graduation Cakes, but there is no reason to go out of your way and schedule to do so.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetArt

Yesterday I got a call from a lady that wanted to film me making a cake, "from start to finish" for a class of hers. .....but she can only come in this Friday to do the whole thing. icon_confused.gif

Sounds like she would need some preliminary education first. What makes her think that a cake can or is made all in one day? Why does she think it's all done the "day before" the big event? This is not to rag on the person making the request but is *IS* typical cake civilian thinking.

In my kitchen, Friday was the wind-down day, when I put finishing touches on the cakes that were heading out on Saturday, not the day when I did "all" of the work.

If she's doing a documentary on cake making, she needs to get her research done first.

(Snark, pretty awesome that you work with the college on their projects, especially when I think of how busy your shop always is!!)

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 14

The last one was really problematic, because she called and asked ( It was her Master's project) AND when she comes in, she is in a Wheelchair, so on a busy Friday, we all have to work around her while getting ready not just for the weekend, but for the Washington DC cake show.

But, on the upside, the local news came in today to do a story on us as a " success story" who has been successful because of our active engagement in community projects etc... They're doing a piece called " Doing Well by Doing Good" and we're i it because of this girl becasue she submitted our name.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

..... and we're i it because of this girl becasue she submitted our name.

Karma, baby! Karma!! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 14

I'd just tell her no becasue you can't accomodate her timeline. I work out of my home and I've had people in to do photo shoots for magazines and film me for things, and it's a pain in the butt. It definitely slows the process down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%