How Would You Ship A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By grams Updated 7 Jul 2016 , 8:39pm by Shasha2727

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 31

I had someone inquire about a wedding cake from me. I live in Michigan and they are in Utah. It would have to be shipped there. Is such a thing even possible? It would be a 3 tier cake.

30 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 31

you could ship individual fondant covered cakes, but there is no way you could ship a 3 tiered cake unless you used some sort of courier service, but even then it'd be tricky1

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 31

I wouldn't even think about it. thumbsdown.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

I wouldn't even think about it. thumbsdown.gif

Ditto... sometimes you just have to say no to an order.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #5 of 31

Nah, I wouldn't consider it for a minute. There are cake designers in Utah.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:50am
post #6 of 31

Okay, I've been wondering about this too. How do Colette Peters and Sylvia Weinstock pull this off? Because apparently they've figured out how to ship cakes out all over the world. I wish I could order one of their cakes just to see the packaging....in my wildest dreams! But I'd really love to know.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:22am
post #7 of 31

I don't know about Sylvia W., but Colette says she doesn't ship anymore--too much hassle & expense. She now travels with the cake and assembles on sight.

It's flattering, but unrealisitc, and not worth the headaches, hassles, or expense.

Rae

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:50am
post #8 of 31

It's very expensive. You have to ship counter to counter with the airlines. First the airlines will want you to fill out paper work and then once that is done they need to come out and inspect where you will be shipping from...something to do with 911. That was as far as I got in the process. If you continue and get approved you will find it will cost your customers a lot of money to ship cakes this way and that is why only the celebrity cake decorators ship cakes because people are willing to pay this amount of money. Mikes Amazing cakes has boxes with windows so that when his cakes are shipped the airline see's it's a cake and makes a bit of effort on the handling. He does charge extra if he has to fly out to "fix" the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:22am
post #9 of 31

Some of those emails where they want the cake shipped to another state or to Canada are scams, so if it came from someone who you don't know, I'd assume it might be a scam, especially if it's got strange grammar in the email.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 31

Thankyou for your answers. I kind of thought it was a disaster in the making but my son thought I ought to check with all you cake experts.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 31

I wouldn't ever try to ship a cake. I know my luck, it would be a disaster. I do tell people though, that I'll travel with a cake wherever they want me to go with it. But I charge a nice delivery fee, and trips over 3 hours one way require a hotel room icon_smile.gif

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:24am
post #12 of 31

I like it! Might as well get a mini vacation out of the deal icon_biggrin.gif

MamawJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamawJ Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:44am
post #13 of 31

A friend of mine lives in Mobile and I am in Cocoa Beach. She insisted that I make her granddaughter's birthday cake, so I made her a Tinkerbell doll cake with a banner across her arms. I wrapped it in 3 layersof plastic wrap, then 2 layers of aluminum foil (sugessted by the shipping guy). I put two 1" layers of foam in the bottom and took it up to the UPS store. They filled it up with peanuts, taped it up and I kissed it good-bye!

The delivery was $159.00 but that was with overnight, early mrning, Saturday delivery. There was no damage to the cake at all. There was a crack in the birthday banner, but Grandma shifted the dolls arms to hide it.

It was a succesful delivery, but I was ready for a valium by 8:00 in the morning--until I got that phone call that it had arrived and all was well!!!! I would probably not do it again unless it was for a very special person!!

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:27am
post #14 of 31

One of our decorators accompanies the cake. The cakes are packaged in insulated boxes and we carry them onto the plane with us.

It is a pain but can be done.

Minette

My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 31

YouTube has a video that shows shipment via air of a 6 tier wedding cake. Each tier was shipped separately, and the cake decorator was on site to assemble & decorate. Using bubble wrap over wax paper covered cakes, they were boxed & surrounded by expanding foam you buy at hardware or packing store. This was a very expensive cake, with gold leaf & hundreds of sugar flowers, and no mention was made of cost, but it arrived perfect and went on to be a gorgeous finished cake. I'm doing a 2 tier square cake going from Orlando to Nashville for April 1 wedding, I'll let you know how it works out...

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 2:05am
post #16 of 31

Decline.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 5:17am
post #17 of 31

Quote by @Texas_Rose on 25 Feb 2010 , 1:22am

Some of those emails where they want the cake shipped to another state or to Canada are scams, so if it came from someone who you don't know, I'd assume it might be a scam, especially if it's got strange grammar in the email.

This was my thinking as well.  Especially beware if they ask you to charge a larger amount than what you are asking & "pay" someone else for them.  I just received an email like this yesterday.  

Unless you know them or have a personal connection to them, or they are asking you to make a specialty cake that is not available closer to them, I would imagine the cost of shipping would be prohibitive.  Maybe even more than the cake? 

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:24pm
post #18 of 31

On this page:

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html

it says:

Section 4: Selling Cottage Foods

How do I sell my Cottage Foods?

Cottage foods may only be sold by the producer directly to the consumer at farmers' markets, farm stands, roadside stands and similar venues. You cannot sell your Cottage Foods to a retailer for them to resell or to a restaurant for use or sale in the restaurant. You cannot sell your Cottage Foods over the Internet, by mail order, or to wholesalers, brokers or other food distributors who will resell the Cottage Foods. Additionally, the law requires that the sales be face to face in order to assure the consumer that they have some relationship with the Cottage Food operator and can discuss any questions or concerns that they may have about the food that they are purchasing. You may take orders over the phone as long as the cash transaction and delivery of the product is face to face.  You may NOT take orders over the Internet. Shipping of your products or having someone else deliver your products is also NOT allowed.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 3:23pm
post #19 of 31

I read once that Sylvia requires a non-stop flight to the destination and someone accompanies the cake too....at the prices her cakes command, she can afford such measures....for most decorators that would be out of the question.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 2:07am
post #20 of 31

Um, this thread is 6 years old.... just in case anyone is interested in that.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 5:18pm
post #21 of 31

Well, it remains a legitimate topic..........doesn't it?

Shasha2727 Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 31

Many Fed Ex & UPS branches don't ship packages containing perishables and/or dry ice. But USPO does, as long as you limit the dry ice to 5# per package, and seal the ice properly. Shipping this tomorrow, I hope!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 10:55pm
post #23 of 31

Seriously? Be sure to post pictures of the smashed mess! 

MamawJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamawJ Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 11:46pm
post #24 of 31

I actually did ship a tinker bell cake from Florida to Alabama and it worked beautifully.  My concern was how to keep it cool so the cream cheese wouldn't spoil. [postimage id="3400" thumb="900"]

Shasha2727 Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 4:51pm
post #25 of 31

Wow mug, way to build up your fellow cake enthusiasts. It's been done before, it can be done again, think positive.....and to Mamawj, they sell dry ice at Publix in our area (near Orlando) you can add it to the base and / or sides of your shipping box, it will keep things cold. Post office will ship it. They ship all these meal kits now, like Blue Apron, and have shipped lobsters and other perishable foods for years using dry ice packets. I'm over nighting my boxes tomorrow, for Friday night wedding. I'll post pics....

Shasha2727 Posted 1 Apr 2016 , 4:34pm
post #26 of 31

The family of the bride just confirmed receipt of both boxes / tiers of the wedding cake, says they arrived "in perfect condition". This despite USPS sending one tier back to me, because they thought might have "too much dry ice". (It didn't). So cakes CAN be shipped. I'll post some pictures when it's all finished. Feeling quite relieved.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 12:19am
post #27 of 31

I guess I just can't image a decorated cake being shipping and arriving in any kind of decent condition. I would love to see pictures of the process involved. 

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 1:50pm
post #28 of 31

My question is:  What happens if it DOESN'T arrive safely?  Do you refund your client?

Shasha2727 Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 12:23pm
post #29 of 31

Most shippers won't insure perishable items, so you'll be taking a chance. For my shipped cakes I've taken an "at my own risk" stance & hoped for the best, and it's worked out. But you'd need a very understanding bride & a viable back up plan so she's not left cake less on her big day. Ship frozen cake with dry ice as far ahead as feasible, and have her store it frozen until day before. That way if shipper screws up, she can still get her back up cake in time.

I did insure my hand made silouhette topper for the maximum allowable $100, but that doesn't even cover shipping cost. It's a very risky proposotion, but it has worked out for me.  

I plan on detailing how I shipped my cake here by Monday, with some pictures.

Shasha2727 Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 12:24pm
post #30 of 31

Sorry for underlines on last entry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%