How To Make A Fondant Band For The Bottom Border Of A Cake?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm by CakeItGood

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 8

I wanted to make a bow on the bottom of my cake and have it look like ribbon done in fondant, but the band would have to be 26 inches long for an 8 inch cake how do most of you do it. Do you roll out a huge strip and then cut it, and if so what do you use to cut it so its even, or do you just do it in sections and cover up where they meet with something. I was just having a hard time rolling what I had left 26 inches long so I gave up and just put real ribbon around the bottom.
thanks

7 replies
monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 8

I do it in sections, and I use the Wilton ribbon cutter to make sure the width is even. I try to position the seams toward the "back" if possible, and then try to blend the 2 sections together.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 8

HI

I've done it one go before...I rolled my fondant into long sausage shape before I rolled it so I knew it'd be long enough, I used a long piece of card the right width as a template for cutting. I dusted it lightly with icing sugar and rolled it up loosely. This made it easy to go round the cake without ripping.

Lyndsey xx

CrazyCatLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCatLady Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 8

Could you roll two strips 13" long?

It is perfectly acceptable to leave a seam in the back of the cake, and if you have a bow to cover the seam in the front, no one will know it's there.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 8

I typically roll out a snake as well and then flatten it out. I run a pizza cutter down both sides of a yard stick. If your yardstick isn't wide enough, you can "eyeball" the other side so you get the desired width. Or like another poster suggested, cut two strips. I use one of these when making multiple strips that have to be the same width....it is a life saver!!!!

http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?pcid=23&scid=2360&pid=10627&q=&returnUrl=%2fshop%2fsearch.aspx%3fq%3ddough

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 8

I use the Wilton roller thingy to make sure it's even. I've done both, made one long piece and done two pieces. I have to say using two pieces makes it easier to handle and covering up the ends is easy. I've also had luck blending the edges when it's still pliable.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #7 of 8

i also use the wilton cutter thingy to with all the edges, there are different way's to make bows you might want to see a video on u-tube, i tried different way's until i found the one i liked, i do lay the loops on their side. by the way your cakes are really nice

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 8

A pasta machine is very helpful for getting fondant rolled out to a uniform thickness. Then I use a pizza wheel and a ruler, or the Wilton cutter set, or the pasta cutters .... basically whatever seems to work best at that moment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%