Giant Spongebob, Covering In Fondant Question

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 25

Making a giant spongebob today, and I cant decide how to put the fondant on him. He is sitting upright, so I have a 8x12x4 vertical rectangle to cover. Can that be done all in one shot? Or would it be best to cut out panels and apply it to each side? I was even thinking Maybe I could cut one long strip to drape over the front, top and back...then just cut panels for the sides?

I would like to be able to do this in one shot to minimize all the seams, but I can just imagine it being a nightmare trying to smooth all those folds.

How would you guys do this?

Here is a photo of the cake my client is having me reproduce....
LL

24 replies
JCE62108 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 25

BTW, anyone know what those bubbles are?

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 25

If I were attempting that cute cake, I would apply fondant in one piece to the front and wrap the two sides only. (so your rectangle is laying sideways.) Then I would take a 2nd piece and start on the top of his head, butting it against the piece I just applied and wrap it down his back. That piece of fondant would be like a vertical rectangle.

The rope detail around each edge of him will hide all seams nicely I would think.

The bubbles look like blown sugar to me.

Can't wait to see your version!

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 25

He is CUTE, I agree with Chasey on the fondant. Just make sure he doesn't get warm at all or you will have some serious sliding downhill problems.
If you can't do the blown sugar balls then how about a little Gary next to SpongeBob?

JCE62108 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 25

Actually, they requested a gary next to him! They wanted some changes to the design. Green board with grass, blue and yellow streamers (or whistle, whatever that thing is called). Gary is going to have a party hat and streamer as well!!!! Its going to be super cute. Im excited about this one. Ill post a photo when its done.

carriebush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carriebush Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 25

If I had to do it, I would do the front , top and back with one big sheet like you said. Then I would do one long skinny one to cover the top and sides. It would be a double layer on top but, you wouldn't have to worry about sliding. Then like someone else said the rolled border would cover all seems. I can't wait to see how it turns out, it's going to be so cute!!

JCE62108 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebush

If I had to do it, I would do the front , top and back with one big sheet like you said. Then I would do one long skinny one to cover the top and sides. It would be a double layer on top but, you wouldn't have to worry about sliding. Then like someone else said the rolled border would cover all seems. I can't wait to see how it turns out, it's going to be so cute!!

Heeeeyyy...good idea! Alrighty! Im getting ready to tackle that right now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Chasey Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 25

icon_lol.gif Great minds think alike! I was going to suggest that double layer on top method, but then I worried it would be too thick!

Awesome, sounds like you have a plan! thumbs_up.gif

JCE62108 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 25

OMG you guys. This cake turned out so cool.

Your idea worked perfectly. I covered the narrow sides first in one long sheet, then covered the front, top and back with one long sheet. The seams werent too hard to cover with that border in the photo.

I havent take a photo of it yet because I still need to put the party hats on spongebob and gary, but I cant do that until I take it out of the fridge for delivery...but cause there is no way it will fit in my fridge if I put it on now.

Ill post photos of it tonight when I get back. Its supposed to be delivered at 6:30pm, so it'll be late when I get back. You guys are gonna love it. icon_smile.gif

I really appreciate all the help!

carriebush Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 25

glad it worked. Can't wait to see it!!

JCE62108 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #11 of 25

16 hours later....viola!!! A giant spongebob! It doesnt look much like the photo they sent me, but I think it turned out ok and they absolutly LOVED it when I delivered it tonight. (yay!)
LL

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:34am
post #12 of 25

Awesom cake!!! You did an amazing job!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:47am
post #13 of 25

wow you did a great job!!

JCE62108 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 25

Thanks!

Chasey Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm
post #15 of 25

It's better than the picture!!! What an awesome cake and I love the extras you added. I'm not surprised they were thrilled!

Is it okay to ask you what the accepted price in your area is for that cake? You deserve top dollar!

JCE62108 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #16 of 25

I didnt charge nearly enough. It took me 16 hours from baking to finish. They gave me a sob story about their premature baby and how special this first birthday was. And me, being a mom, fell for it. They got it at $4.75/ serving. It should have been 6 or 7/serving. Not only that, these people were an absolute nightmare to deal with. They called me at 9pm the day before the party because they were so nervous the cake wouldnt look good. They asked me to take a photo of it and email it to them. From the time they ordered, until the day of delivery (3 days!) they called me 8 times for various reasons, but during every conversation that asked if I was sure I had the skills to create what they were asking. When I went to meet them for payment, they said they werent comfortable with giving me the full amount up front and wanted to pay the other half upon delivery. Seriously, if you are sooo uncomfortable with hiring a home baker....DONT DO IT! But geez, dont try to intimidate someone into giving you a good product.

Ack. Sorry. lol. That cake would have been so fun if I didnt have to deal with them. At least they liked it. (WHEW!) If I ever make this cake again, $6-7/serving most likely.

Chasey Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:17pm
post #17 of 25

Oh my gosh, they gave you such a tough time, didn't they?!? I hope they felt embarrassed about it after they saw what a great job you did. Shame on them for being so publicly concerned over your skills when they chose you in the first place! icon_rolleyes.gif Do you get the feeling their little boy will be one spoiled preemie for the rest of his life? icon_biggrin.gif

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:27pm
post #18 of 25

That turned out AWESOME!!! Great job icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like the customers were a PITA though...LOL.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 25

Great job!

bonnster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnster Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:30pm
post #20 of 25

you did a fabulous job!!

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 25

oh wow! that is super cute! bravo!!

JCE62108 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #22 of 25

BTW if anyone was curious, spongebob's cheeks, Gary's eyes (Meeow!), and Gary's body are RKT covered in chocolate (was trying to make them smoother), then covered in fondant. Eyes and cheeks held with lollipop sticks. Spongebob is 8x12x4, sectioned into 3 pieces with colums and boards in between so customer can cut normal slices. Two 12 inch dowels are screwed into the cake board so spongebob doesnt fall over. icon_smile.gif Had to break out the power tools for this one......ok...hubby did it. Cant take the credit for that one. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Oh my gosh, they gave you such a tough time, didn't they?!? I hope they felt embarrassed about it after they saw what a great job you did. Shame on them for being so publicly concerned over your skills when they chose you in the first place! icon_rolleyes.gif Do you get the feeling their little boy will be one spoiled preemie for the rest of his life? icon_biggrin.gif

Yes. He will. But my son is spoiled too. Like I said, Im a mom. I started planning my son's first birthday when he was a month old! So, I get it, but at the same time.....GEEZ! Dont be giving me a panic attack! lol. It bothered me at the time, and my hubby was about to grab the phone from me and tell them off, but ya know....it's one to let go. It turned out ok in the end so no big deal. All I can say is Im glad that one is behind me. icon_lol.gif They were a PITA, as you say, but a nice family as well. My hubby is standing over my shoulder telling me I let people walk all over me. LOL. I try to be nice. What can I say. icon_rolleyes.gif

carriebush Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #24 of 25

I LOVE IT!!!!! Gary is awesome..you did a great job, way better than the picture they gave you. Did you happen to see how they cut it??? It was probably interesting!!

JCE62108 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebush

Did you happen to see how they cut it??? It was probably interesting!!

lol. probably gruesom. It had strawberry filling. I was thinking about that after delivery. At least it wasnt red velvet. lol. Even Gary was strawberry filled. icon_biggrin.gif

The cake was separated in three "bars". They would have gotten normal sized slices, like cutting a square 4" tier. I tried to make it easy for them. It probably was a pain in the butt to cut though, with the dowels screwed in. They would have to cut around the two dowels, but the 4 normal colums (supporting the boards) were removable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%