%*@!? Florist!!

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 2:09pm by confectionsofahousewife

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 27

So my bride sends me an email this morning that she met with the florist and will be ordering fresh calla lillies and hydrangeas for her cake.

I sent her an article before she went that showed which flowers were toxic and which flowers were edible and safe so she had an idea what to look for. Both flowers she picked were on the toxic part of the list.

She said in the email that she showed the florist the article and told her that I wanted her to get her recommendations for non-toxic flowers and the florist raised one eyebrow, laughed and said FLOWERS AREN'T TOXIC

I thought it was weird yesterday when the florist called me to ask how many flowers to order for the cake and she was really condescending...I was explaining the size of the tiers and she just flat interrupts me and says And that means WHAT to me? Huh? I've never met the woman and she acts like I've pissed her off somehow.

Now what? I have flower picks, but with calla lillies how can I get them to lay on the cake without actually touching it?

I am so mad--this is just the neatest, sweet, very organized couple and this florist has really taken the fun out of their planning.

26 replies
cakesdivine Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 27

I refuse to allow live callalillies on my cakes! I also don't allow the florist to put flowers on my cakes either. There was this one florist that tried to stick raw callalilly stems into my cake when my back was turned, and I stopped her just in time. The woman had no idea they were poisonous to people! So not all florists are trained in botanical properties, just how to arrange flowers. Sad really.

In that instance I had no choice, I had some plastic bakery bands with me and cut them so the flowers could sit on it instead of the cake. It looked awful there but that was not my problem. I could not allow anyone to get sick and me be held liable for it!

indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 27

My contract stated that those flowers were not allowed on my cake. Period. Bride either switches to silk or finds another baker. A florist does not override my exposure to liability and I'll happily bend over to make it easier for the florist to take a flyin' kiss at my big 'ole behind!

This was a non-negotiable item for me.

PumpkinTart Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 27

Whether she received specific botanical training or not, it's just basic professionalism to be aware of something this serious related to your "product".

I would recommend calling the florist back and making an attempt to try to 'educate' from a professional to a professional. I know she doesn't sound receptive and was down right rude but maybe you can get through to her so she doesn't make any other clients sick due to her ignorance.

Then, I would definitely speak to the bride again and explain more clearly why she can't use those flowers or how you would have to change the design to minimize the impact of using those flowers. She is the client. I'm sure if she understands the toxic issue, she'll either MAKE the florist do the right thing/pick different flowers or find another florist.

KHalstead Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 27

I tell ya what I did in this same exact situation.............(no I'm not snarky either lol), I asked the bride what she was paying for the callas and turned out $54 for 5 of them!!

I showed her www.cake deco dot com and how she could get a box of 18 gumpaste callas for under $20, she cancelled the order w/ the florist and thanked me profusely stating that she'd originally wanted some callas on the table surrounding the cake but couldn't afford enough to do that, and now she could get a TON for what she was paying for 5 flowers at the florist!!!

Maybe your bride is under the impression that sugar flowers are more expensive?

If all else fails, stick a little piece of wax paper just under the flower on the cake....the bride isn't going to object to you not wanting to poison her right?

foxymomma521 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My contract stated that those flowers were not allowed on my cake. Period. Bride either switches to silk or finds another baker. A florist does not override my exposure to liability and I'll happily bend over to make it easier for the florist to take a flyin' kiss at my big 'ole behind!

This was a non-negotiable item for me.

OMG! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif So funny!!!!

Bfisher2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 27

I have a contract that I use if I know the bride is wanting real flowers that says (roughly) If you put flowers on the cake and they are indeed touching the cake then the couple become liable for anyone getting sick. I mkae them sign it, and I take a picture of the cake as I have set it up, not only to cxover my butt but also for my album. If they refuse, they can find someone else to do their cake! I will take the afternoon off and go play with my son!

I worked in medicine for 15 years before going into business, I KNOW THINGS CAN HAPPEN! Ive seen people react to flowers for various reasons, even herbicide pesticide sensativities. Luckily, no serious situations but it can happen!

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 27

I just sent the bride an email with the link to the gumpaste flowers (thank you!) and letting her know that I do not want the liability of having the toxic flowers on the cake.

If she insists on going forward with them I told her the best I can do is to place something under the flowers between the cake and I have no guarantees how that will look.

I am bracing myself for a nasty phone call from the florist if she goes with the gumpaste instead of fresh.

Gah.

JustToEatCake Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 27

I agree, my sis is extremely allergic to babies breath (baby's?) anyway just being a room with them causes her issues for WEEKS. I can't imagine eating something that they had touched it could kill her.

indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

I am bracing myself for a nasty phone call from the florist if she goes with the gumpaste instead of fresh.

Gah.

tell her you will have your attorney draw up a document that places ALL liability on the florist that she can sign and you want to see proof of her $2million liablity policy with you listed as an add'l insured for this particular wedding.

Hard ball, baby!! icon_twisted.gif She does NOT dicate my liability exposure.

costumeczar Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 27

Also let the bride know that hydrangeas wilt really fast, so they probably won't hold up for long on a cake even if you were willing to use them.

Bfisher2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

Gah.

tell her you will have your attorney draw up a document that places ALL liability on the florist that she can sign and you want to see proof of her $2million liablity policy with you listed as an add'l insured for this particular wedding.

Hard ball, baby!! icon_twisted.gif She does NOT dicate my liability exposure.

Hard ball, baby!! She does NOT dicate my liability exposure.

AMEN!!!!

Bfisher2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 27

a little off topic is there a resorce on here that has a list of really toxic flowers? It would be nice to print out for my customers as it seems the florists in this area are noooooooooo smarter. The only thing they seem to know is toxic is foxglove......jeeeeeeeebus!!!

indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher2

a little off topic is there a resorce on here that has a list of really toxic flowers? It would be nice to print out for my customers as it seems the florists in this area are noooooooooo smarter. The only thing they seem to know is toxic is foxglove......jeeeeeeeebus!!!

Here's one: http://www.blueirissanctuary.fatcow.com/id181.htm
Scroll to the very bottom list where hydrangeas are listed and where it says "Call the Poison Control Center Immediately".

indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:

Scroll to the very bottom list where hydrangeas are listed and where it says "Call the Poison Control Center Immediately".

So you could hand the bride this list and tell her, "You might make sure your mom or your maid of honor has the Poison Control Center phone number handy. If you insist on putting those flowers on your cake, you're going to need it! Oh, and alert your insurance agent that you'll probably need his help when you get sued." icon_twisted.gif

Bfisher2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

So you could hand the bride this list and tell her, "You might make sure your mom or your maid of honor has the Poison Control Center phone number handy. If you insist on putting those flowers on your cake, you're going to need it! Oh, and alert your insurance agent that you'll probably need his help when you get sued." icon_twisted.gif

Im actually pretty stern about this with my customers. "If ya dont like it there are less expereinced decorators that would be happy to help ya out. But thanks for comming out!!!!" *LOL*

Thanks for the info link indydebi.... thats awsome!!!! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 27

lol, anyone else notice how all the stuff labled "Mother-in-law..." is all poisonous?? wonder if that's a coincidence?? lol

Caralovescake Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 27

OHmigosh, I had no idea at all about these flowers! My cousin was married at a VERY, very expensive venue. It is a castle on Long Island, ( mucho bucks, I mean, she wore an original Vera Wang, for goodness sake) any how, her cake had just loads of real calla lilies in it and the stems were just jammed into the top and the sides of the cake! Yikes, glad I didn't eat any of it! They had too many other good looking desserts. LOL!

Bfisher2 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:18am
post #19 of 27

*LOL*... makes ya think twice doesnt it....

noahsmummy Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:23am
post #20 of 27

my my. CC never ceases to amaze me with its wealth of info.

but hey.. i have an aleovera plant in my garden that i use for sunburn... and they make eucalyptus drops for when you are sick here.. plus you put in a vaporiser to clear your airways.. lol.. oh and they marijuana on the list, the fact thats toxic doesnt seem to stop people. i guess its like ciggarettes, which have chemicals in paint strippers and rat poisons.. some people just dont care.....

but ill keep using my aleo! maybe coz i dont eat it....hahaha

Sugarchic Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:56am
post #21 of 27

I agree with everyone's comments. You have informed her about the hazards and have also given her another option for the flowers. Next step is to definetly get the signature on a legal document so you don't get sued. Another suggestion would be to deliver the cake as is without flowers, take a picture when you set it up. Have someone in management at the venue sign a document stating the cake was left without flowers and the bride can allow the florist to place them as they wish. All this definetly stated on the legal document.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:28am
post #22 of 27

Sounds like you need to go toe to toe with that florist and tell HER that she needs to stick to flowers and you'll stick to cakes... but she obviously needs to learn a little more when she starts putting her flowers on cakes! I can't believe someone who works with weddings wouldn't know not to stick Calla Lillies in something to be consumed by people! And..... what really ticks me off is that instead of doing her reseach, she just acts like YOU'RE the idiot..... where most people would say "oh really, I didn't know that" or at least try to cover up their ignorance.
I've never been a fan of fresh flowers on cakes.......period......... I had fresh flowers on my wedding cake, but it was only after arguing with the baker, and my mother that I finally gave in. Just something about it made me go ewwwwww.

Bfisher2 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:40am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

lol, anyone else notice how all the stuff labled "Mother-in-law..." is all poisonous?? wonder if that's a coincidence?? lol

I learned this lesson to late.... icon_wink.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:15am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Sounds like you need to go toe to toe with that florist and tell HER that she needs to stick to flowers and you'll stick to cakes... but she obviously needs to learn a little more when she starts putting her flowers on cakes! I can't believe someone who works with weddings wouldn't know not to stick Calla Lillies in something to be consumed by people! And..... what really ticks me off is that instead of doing her reseach, she just acts like YOU'RE the idiot..... where most people would say "oh really, I didn't know that" or at least try to cover up their ignorance.
I've never been a fan of fresh flowers on cakes.......period......... I had fresh flowers on my wedding cake, but it was only after arguing with the baker, and my mother that I finally gave in. Just something about it made me go ewwwwww.

I also dont like fresh flowers on anything, im a weirdo, i opted for balloon decorations and glass bowls/candels etc at my wedding, for me i didnt like the idea of a bunch of flowers sitting around on the table just dying, i much prefer to look at beautiful flowers in my garden icon_smile.gif

Back on topic, im really shocked the florist didnt already know this, i mean she works all day every day with these flowers, surely she understands each ones properties etc, i dont admit to knowing everything there is about cake, but if some one said to me, oh my you cant use that, its poisonus, i would at least do my own research to make sure it was true before going ahead with it , i definately say go with a legal document explaining to her all about these flowers and the dangers of using them!

indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:17pm
post #25 of 27

I was in a meeting and was sitting next to a florist and 'non-toxics' came up. He said, ,"Like poinsettias and callas" and I added "and hydrangeas". He said........

"Hydrangeas? icon_confused.gif "

They are in the business of making things look pretty.

We are in the business that reguires we dont' poison people.

I'm not surprised that they dont' know some of this stuff. I think they SHOULD .... but I'm not surprised.

KHalstead Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm
post #26 of 27

I had one florist let a bride order a ton of poisonous flowers for her cake, and then I informed the bride I couldn't put anything "I knew to be toxic" on the cake, so the flowers were a no-go.........she called the florist and told the florist what I had said and the florist said "Oh yeah, she's right they're definitely poisonous!" the BTB said she told the florist they were for the cake when she ordered them and the florist said "what you do with them is up to you, but I would NEVER stick them on anything I WAS GOING TO EAT!"

The bride was so irate she cancelled all her flowers with that florist and ordered sugar flowers for the cake!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:09pm
post #27 of 27

So glad I read this thread! I haven't yet had the opportunity to use real flowers on a cake so I hadn't give it any thought but now I know to be very careful with fresh flowers. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%