Fondant Not Getting Hard

Decorating By mishlove Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm by Debi2

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 8

I made MMF Butterflies and the fondant is not getting hard. The wings keep falling down and not staying up. It's been about 24 hours since I made them.

Any ideas on why?

Thank you

Michele

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 8

It can do that if there's a lot of humidity in your house. Drying time also depends on the thickness of the fondant. Usually you can knead in some gum-tex or tylose (I prefer tylose) before you make your figures, and that will make them dry a lot faster, but not as fast as regular gumpaste.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 8

If you put a sign over the oven controls to keep anyone from turning them on, you can put your butterflies in the oven with the light on. The warmth from the light is just enough to help dry them.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:58am
post #4 of 8

I've also used a fan in the past and that really sped up the drying time for me.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:14am
post #5 of 8

Add tylose to your fondant before making them and they will harden for you. Or use gumpaste. icon_smile.gif agree with Texas_Rose

HTH's
Chippi

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:18am
post #6 of 8

i always use small fan to dry anything i make. g/p, fondant, chocolate,etc.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 8

I use gumpaste and fondant mixed 50/50 and that will help it harden faster, and then I find something to put under the parts that might fall or droop while drying, I use everything from papertowel holders to the wilton color containers or cookie cutters just find something to stay under it until it is dry, does that make sense?

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 8

I also use the fondant mixed with tylose now to make a gumpaste that dries faster and hardens better. I definitely recommend you use that method from here on out. But, before I learned that lesson, I had made something out of straight fondant too and had to use the fan to dry it because 3 days had passed and the fondant still wasn't drying enough...so, I learned from that mistake. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%