ElegantOccasions Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #31 of 86

As I said $2.50 per cup cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:51am
post #32 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

mb20fan, please learn to ignore the negative comments here in the forums. You have every right to ask a question and get an answer without getting critiques about how and what you are doing. Weed through the negative and know-it-all responses and ignore those people who talk to you that way. Welcome to CC and feel free to post any questions you may have.

I thought that she asked about pricing, which would be a business question. She's getting business answers. Listening to some of the know-it-alls is a good thing sometimes, people who know it all can teach you a lot if you choose to listen.

To the OP-Find out if you need a license to sell things in your state before you start selling things, regardless of waht your final pricing ends up being. Every state is different, so you'll need to check in your specific area.

costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #33 of 86

Here's another entry in the dictionary:

Sound Advice noun 1.Posts that contain information you don't want to hear. 2. Posts that tell you you need to be legal when you really don't feel like doing the work to get a license. 3.Posts that are intended to be helpful but which make you feel inadequate, so that obviously means that the advice-giver is a big old meany pus face.

costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #34 of 86

mb20fan, the issue of licensing aside, remember that if you start pricing yourself too low it's going to be practically impossible to raise your prices later. You might have a ton of customers who are willing to pay you when you're underpriced, and they'll send their friends to you,who will also want low prices. Eventually it won't be so much fun to make cakes because you'll be working for 50 cents an hour.

Caralovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralovescake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:27am
post #35 of 86

Dang, I feel bad for mb20fan. Her CCC was really cute, much nicer than some airbrushed tacky CCC's I have seen at stores. Some people can be so..I don't want to say catty, but almost put their nose up to her CCC. I didn't think we all had to do fondant tiered cakes to get a compliment. It seemed kinda snooty. I heard about this site from a friend, and I just joined, have not gotten around to uploading any of my cakes yet, but I don't think I should if that is the reaction she got. I have noticed a few of these threads turn into legal/not legal the second someone asks about pricing. Why go straight to assuming someone isn't legal? Is it because you would be ticked off that you paid money to become legal and they didn't? And like the police officer said, I never heard of anyone getting arrested for selling cakes the their friends, ever! Mostly I hear about cops arresting drug dealers, murderers, theives, drunk drivers. I bet a New York cop would p** in their pants if they were told to go arrest some lady cause she sold a homemade cake to her friend! LOL! I could just see their faces! Man, yall gotta lighten up! The girl asked how much you would charge for such item, let her know, if you have a real answer! Don't use her inexperience in pricing be your jumping off point to chastise those who are not legal, it is so transparent!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:34am
post #36 of 86

Nothing in here was chastising... just giving out all the info. You guys are quick to jump on somebody when you should go back and re-read. Life isn't always candy sweet. Do you want people to succeed or try to do it the wrong way and flop out and be really upset that no one told them the hard honest truth. That's pretty heartless if you ask me... and too spineless to stand up for others and the right thing or right way of doing it.

costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #37 of 86

If you ask a pricing question, you'll get a pricing answer. Which anyone who's in business would already know, so that's why we know that it's likely that anyone who asks isn't legal. icon_rolleyes.gif

ElegantOccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElegantOccasions Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #38 of 86

As I responded to the question $2.50 per cup cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:06am
post #39 of 86

Great job on your ccc. I agree that $2.50 each sounds about right. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. I think you are going to be a great decorator.

sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #40 of 86

I really don't see what the big deal is we can all give her our own answers.. I am not criticizing you or your price at all.. So stop criticizing my advice ... to each their own.

mb20fan you are starting out with great piping/coloring/artistic skills already and you sound eager to learn so I wish you much success in your endeavors! Always seek what you are worth.

Caralovescake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:11am
post #41 of 86

Sorry, didn't think I was spineless, I WAS sticking up for someone! HER!

sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:14am
post #42 of 86

Go ahead give her a price all you want. Those of us who really care are trying to make sure she can actually have a price and not get in trouble.

ElegantOccasions Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #43 of 86

SadSmile:
"Me thinks you doth protest too much"

sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #44 of 86

I think you are all to happy to have another person with their neck stuck out.. ignorance is not bliss. It's called watching somebodies back.

Caralovescake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:26am
post #45 of 86

Really? You actually think I want something bad to happen to someone? You are seriously disturbed.

ElegantOccasions Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:29am
post #46 of 86

Sad Smile:
Nobody is trying to get anybody stuck out there. The problem is that the OP requested a price, not business advice. If and when she or anyone else needs business advice, I'm sure that they will ask either here or from a lawyer, accountant etal. It's quite arrogant for you or anyone else to assume that the OP needs business advice. I don't get it. What is it that you don't understand. Just tell her how much you would charge for the cake and leave the legalities to her business advisor.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:43am
post #47 of 86

Caralovescake- I would remove that last post (or at least edit out your comment about the disturbed thing you wrote). That is not only going too far, but will also get this thread deleted.
No body is forcing anyone to do anything. The OP can read the replies and pick what she likes and ignore what she does not like. No body has been rude to her -only helpful. That is what is so great with this forum, you get answers from many point of views.

Caralovescake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:54am
post #48 of 86

Adevag, what is going to far is someone telling me that actually want someone to get in trouble or stick their neck out as sadsmile said. I will no ill will toward anyone. I just felt bat for OP because it seemed she was being insulted and I didn't think it was necessary. Why is it that some people can say whatever they want, but I should delete my post. Maybe this thread does need to be deleted, it is useless.

sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:01am
post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantOccasions

Sad Smile:
Nobody is trying to get anybody stuck out there. The problem is that the OP requested a price, not business advice. If and when she or anyone else needs business advice, I'm sure that they will ask either here or from a lawyer, accountant etal. It's quite arrogant for you or anyone else to assume that the OP needs business advice. I don't get it. What is it that you don't understand. Just tell her how much you would charge for the cake and leave the legalities to her business advisor.

It's what you are not getting. Someone makes something great and friends and family all remark on it and give great encouragement to start selling. What most overlook is the really important legalities of it. So to give advice on a price without advising on the legalities to a newbie is plain old and out right irresponsible. Many newbies do not realize they have to look into the legalities. They are just riding high on the hope it will all go well. It won't all go well if all the ducks are not it a row to start. I am looking out for her in the long run while you are just crusading without a real cause. It's quite arrogant for you to think that you can speak to me that way and tell me what to do. And she never mentioned having a business adviser so where did you pull that from? You can not win this argument because you haven't any real points to stand on. You gave her your price quote and I'm not saying anything is wrong with the price you quoted- now get out of my advice.

ElegantOccasions Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:03am
post #50 of 86

Sad Smile:
GIVE IT UP

Adevag Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:04am
post #51 of 86

Yes you have a point about the post being useless at the end. I think it is hard to read a "tone of voice" in the threads and helpful advice becomes misinterpreted as insulting at times. I still don't see where you think the OP was insulted?

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:08am
post #52 of 86

wow guys all this over a newbie asking how much to charge... lets play nice... we all have to start somewhere and this is supposed to be the place where we all ask questions and help each other out...

I would charge 2.50 a cupcake... Your work is very nice... Looking foward to seeing your next cake, CCC or whatever it is!!! Dont let this discourage you from any other posts you have or pics you want to post!...

Caralovescake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:18am
post #53 of 86

I honestly felt the OP was being insulted because several people said her cake was not "custom" enough (paraphrasing) and that they wouldn't pay much for it because it looked like something they could get in a grocery store, and maybe she should try making something more "difficult". You could tell in the OP's response that she felt her CCC was being looked down on, which, is insulting.

sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:20am
post #54 of 86

Was that Moi?... No.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:23am
post #55 of 86

I just returned home and was surprised to see so many replies on what appeared to be a "beating a dead horse" kind of thread. It certainly did NOT take long to realize the sensitivity of this issue. I'm sorry that I even posed the question.

To those that sent me PM's of encouragement, I really, really appreciate it. I am new. I am ignorant (not to be confused with stupid!) to the "business" and I believe I inquired about where to go to learn more about the legalities of it. Honestly, at this stage of my "hobby", it isn't even about the money. I'm learning about and doing something I really enjoy and choose to take pride in, no matter how it's looked upon by others. I am not pursuing this because I have to, it's an art and a talent that I've always admired but never attempted. With regards to pricing, I just wanted to be fair which is why I asked the question. I've been a member of this site for a while and that started with trying to get ideas for a cake for my daughter's Quinceanera to discuss with a cake designer and I had to sign up to see all of the site. Back then, I never thought I would be an active member with anything to contribute though some seem to think I don't.

While I am not in the same league as others, I respectfully recognize that and admire their talents. However, I like where I am in this short amount of time and maybe demand is different in some areas, but like I mentioned - after this little cake of mine, I was asked by 4 people today (now 5 after tonight) if I could do one for their event. I was extremely flattered and just blown away that some people thought that highly of my efforts and wanted one. I personally think a CCC is neat for a kids' party and apparently others in my area do too. It would be great to see a kid's face light up.

Again, I wish I hadn't even posted the question. It's only the 2nd time I tried to get a question answered and I certainly didn't mean to stir the pot.
Thanks to everyone for all the comments - good, bad or otherwise. I've certainly learned something from it all. thumbs_up.gif

Adevag Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:24am
post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caralovescake

I honestly felt the OP was being insulted because several people said her cake was not "custom" enough (paraphrasing) and that they wouldn't pay much for it because it looked like something they could get in a grocery store, and maybe she should try making something more "difficult". You could tell in the OP's response that she felt her CCC was being looked down on, which, is insulting.

Ok. Thank you. So we read this differently then. I'm not at all saying that I am right but I am just sharing a different point of view. I read that as the posters (who run their own businesses) sharing their own experience with CCC. They did not say they were right but this was their experience and they made some recommendations as well. Then other people shared more positive experiences with CCC. So now you have different point of views. I'm sure it gave the OP something to think about!

Caralovescake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:29am
post #57 of 86

No hard feelings Adevag.

sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:33am
post #58 of 86

You are certainly welcome. And have the right to post anytime. I am not surprise with your inquiries because it looked so much better then most CCC's you find at the local store! You should be proud and excited.

Don't worry at all about stirring the pot. You didn't, you just asked for advice. Some took offense to the legal advice I gave. I don't understand the opposition to the legalities either. It is what it is and the law stands. I guess some just don't like it, but nobody is happy with everything.

Keep on caking! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:46am
post #59 of 86

I'd charge $2.50 a cupcake after I got a business license. Before that, I'd charge 0.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantOccasions

The OP DID NOT ask for advise on a home business, legal business, etc.
Because she didn't ask for that advise, let's just ASSUME that she doesn't need it. Her question was about the pricing for a particular cake. She gave all of the necessary details re: such cake. So can we just answer her question. I mean we don't have to always play Devil's Advocate. Let's just answer the question which she has every right to ask as a member of this site.

I think it is only fair to warn people about the legalities of baking out of your home. Especially if you are in a state that does not allow it at all. I can tell you that when my students come in and the subject of selling cakes comes up, it is vary rare that they know that in Texas you can not legally sell cakes out of your home. I didn't know about it until I was on a message board and the subject was brought up.

To me it is alot like copyrighted chracters being used on cakes. You see it, so you just think it is okay. Then when you look further into it, you see that oh, okay you can do it, if you purchase the plastic figure or edible image or you just use that Wilton cake pan for home use.

I personally would rather have someone warn me about these things, and let me decide how I want to proceed. I would hope other people would feel the same way. If you were doing something illegal wouldnt you want someone to clue you in?

As far as the person that said they had never heard of anyone arrested for selling cakes out of their home, you wont. BUT people have been fined for doing so. So even if it is not an arrest, there are still actions that can be brought against you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%