Competition Asking For Advice On Myspace..do You Give It???

Lounge By KKC Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm by ShopGrl1128

KKC Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 22

Good morning/aftenoon

I'm sure some of you have been through this before, so I know you're going to give some good advice. Anywho, what do you do if your competition asks you for advice/tips/techniques/recipes etc.? I've had this cake stalker for a really long time (a few months) on myspace and we both do cakes in Florida...only shes about 15 miles from me. Every time i post a pic of a cake she'll send me an email wanting to know what i did and how i did it, what recipes i use!! I've given her a few tips that i learned on here and I've also given her a link to this website. But instead of coming here to gain more knowledge she comes and asks me (even though i'm still learning). She also suggested that we refer each other when the other cannot do the cake. I've seen her work and its ok and I don't want to send a client to someone whose work is just ok. I've told her that I already have a go to cake decorator when i can't take an order and she just doesn't get it.

So what do u all tell your competition when they ask for your advice? I thought about just blocking her profile! TIA

21 replies
Spuddysmom Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 22

Block her. You have already given her this website. Apparently, you do not have nor do you wish to have a relationship with her. Do you have time for this?

KKC Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Block her. You have already given her this website. Apparently, you do not have nor do you wish to have a relationship with her. Do you have time for this?

I sure don't have time for it. I just blocked her. I know a mutual cake friend of mine on myspace has been having the same problem with this same person. I just find the whole thing strange and a bit "stalker-ish" thumbsdown.gif

Auryn Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 22

Here in Florida 15 miles is nothing.
I would just go ahead and block her and ignore any more emails/ contacts from her.

jammjenks Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 22

On the rare occasion that someone in my town asks me how I did something, I just give them a very vague answer.

them: How do you smooth your cakes?
me: I guess it just comes with practice.

I'd never tell them I use the Melvira method. Shoot no.

them: What's your almond cake recipe?
me: I found it on the internet a long time ago.

Tell them it's WASC? Shoot no.

leah_s Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 22

My general answer when a competitor or even a customer asks me such a question is

"Magic."

-Tubbs Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 22

Impressed customer or family member: "Oooh, that looks great! Is it hard to do?"
Me: "Oh yes, very hard."
icon_smile.gif

Good for you for blocking her - sounds like she was one of those people who just wants to take.

pattycakesnj Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 22

"Trade Secret"

KKC Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiaCakes

Tell them Cakewrecks is THE place for inspirational photographs. All the pictures are examples of the best looking cakes out there. But Sunday Sweets is the meany section.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

karenm0712 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

On the rare occasion that someone in my town asks me how I did something, I just give them a very vague answer.

them: How do you smooth your cakes?
me: I guess it just comes with practice.

I'd never tell them I use the Melvira method. Shoot no.

them: What's your almond cake recipe?
me: I found it on the internet a long time ago.

Tell them it's WASC? Shoot no.

LOVE IT! icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

My general answer when a competitor or even a customer asks me such a question is

"Magic."

ha ha ha!! icon_lol.gif That's a great answer! I like to tell them "I'd like to tell you but then I'd have to kill you." icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 22

i could tell ya.....but then i'd have to kill ya....

mkolmar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #13 of 22

I've given this answer a few times to people who refuse to do a little research to find an answer: "Go and pay the over $10,000 I have in schooling and countless hours I have studying ,practicing and learning and then you should find your answer." Mind you these are the people who want to be leaches that get that answer. * I have no problem actually helping and giving out information to others. I'm mentoring some high school students soon who will be doing a competition. You bet I'll help them to the best of my ability.*

rosiecast Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

* I have no problem actually helping and giving out information to others. I'm mentoring some high school students soon who will be doing a competition. You bet I'll help them to the best of my ability.*

That's so exciting and generous of you...

globalgatherings Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:00am
post #15 of 22
Quote:

"Magic."

Perfect thumbs_up.gif

ShopGrl1128 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

I sure don't have time for it. I just blocked her. I know a mutual cake friend of mine on myspace has been having the same problem with this same person. I just find the whole thing strange and a bit "stalker-ish" thumbsdown.gif

BLOCK HER! why do this people think is ok to ask question about the business when you are competitors??? I don't get it!

One of my competitors joined my FB page and I blocked her immediately.

all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:17am
post #17 of 22

(Remembering the old Calgon (for clothes) commercial) "Ancient chinese secret"

JulieMN Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:18am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

Quote:

"Magic."

Perfect thumbs_up.gif

Love it!

all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:31am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopGrl1128

That was me! icon_confused.gif LOL! j/k( I think LOL)

ShopGrl1128 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:41am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopGrl1128

That was me! icon_confused.gif LOL! j/k( I think LOL)

Nah...you're all the way in NC! icon_lol.gif

all4cake Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #21 of 22

I am a fan of sooooooooo many decorators...I mainly stop by to admire their newest stuff (I'm guilty of emailing decorators I've never met and probably won't ever meet just to tell them I love their work). I don't follow anyone inparticular...that would be stalking....LOL....

More like googling cakes with words...pink wedding cakes or crazy wedding cakes (OSLT)...then, come upon someone's site that has an incredible collection of works that anyone, in their right mind, would be amazed by...after picking up my jaw...I email them...most times.

(For anyone out there...if I joined your page...on whatever site...it's 'cause I admire your work ...period)

ShopGrl1128 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #22 of 22

I'm fan with many decorators that I like, PCB for example; like you said to admire their work, but when this particular business, who is literally a couple of blocks from me (and has already sent friends to my business to ask questions and waste my time) became my fan... don't think so.

I know there is not way to avoid the competition from checking your work, but this particular decorator is just not a honest person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%