Kitchenaid Pasta Roller & Cutters

Decorating By MainCake Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm by liudka

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 17

I apologize in advance if this question has come up and I missed it. I did do a search but not much came up and anything that did, gave me an Error 404 message when I clicked on it...

Does anyone use Kitchenaid Pasta Roller and Cutters to roll and/or cut fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate? (or any other kind of pasta roller machine?) If so, does it work well? Would you recommend or say it's worth the investment?

16 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 17

I have read somewhere that it does work well. I just got one as a gift this week and I am hoping to try it out this weekend (on gumpaste and pasta!)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 17

Yes it works very well. Just be sure to dust both sides of your fondant/gumpaste very well with cornstarch so it doesn't stick. And don't try putting a big wad through it. You have to roll it out somewhate with a rolling pin and the run it through on the widest setting. Continue decresing the setting (1 at a time) and running it through till you get the thickness you want.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 17

Love, love, love mine!

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 17

couldn't work without it! I use it to roll out fondant and gumpaste - perfect for getting uniform thinness - my rolling out by hand techniques are not the greatest so for anything small I use it....and for gumpaste flowers, you can't beat it for thinness.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 17

Absolutely LOVE it!!! Roll it out first, a little cornstarch, and it will go right thru!

madaboutcakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madaboutcakes2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 17

Are we all talking about the KitchenAid attachments or do any of you use something different? icon_confused.gif

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 17

LOVE my KA pasta roller attachment! It's one of my caking items I can't live without!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 17

agree, great investment

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks so much everyone! I've been eyeing one on Ebay but I didn't know if it would work well or if the fondant (gumpaste, etc) would stick. I've never made pasta so I've never used one. It just occured to me last week when I was searching ebay for extra kitchenaid bowls and came across them that it would probably be so much easier than rolling by hand.

Thanks again!!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 17

You may not need to buy all the different pasta cutters, I just have the roller and it is great.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 17

I love mine too, and use it for gumpaste flowers and fondant ribbons. However, and this is just an FYI and warning, using the pasta roller for anything but pasta dough VOIDS your warranty.
I learned this the hard way.

Jodie

liudka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liudka Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 17

I use mine as well for modeling chocolate, make a long strip and wrap around the cake. This way I don't have to use acetate.
Also zebra effect can be done, as I saw on the Cake Boss show, stretch white fondant and then stick black cutouts on it and run it through again. This way "zebra skin" has a smooth surface...but did not try that yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:59pm
post #14 of 17

I had an old pasta machine in the cupboard (about 18 years old) - the one where you have to clamp it to the counter and manually turn the handle. Well, I finally used it 2 weekends ago to roll out fondant/tylose mixture to do the lace around a cake. Wow - am I in love! It was so easy to use (even with the manual labor). I am now going to invest in the KA roller.

MustXcape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustXcape Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:56am
post #15 of 17

Why dust with cornstarch? For gumpaste or fondant I would have thought powdered sugar would be the preferred nonstick substance.

liudka Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 17

Norm Davis, I think his name is, from the Cake Challenge said that cornstarch will make some kind of chemical reaction with fondant so use only powdered sugar. His got some tutorials on monkeyseevideos.
I like to use a little bit of shortening with the gumpaste just to grease the surfaces.

liudka Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 17

The video where Norm is mentioning about using powdered sugar is "Fondant Cake Decorating- Covering the Cake".
But if you are using marshmallow fondant then cornstarch would be fine since marshmallows are coated with cornstarch to keep the from sticking to each other and the fondant will have conrnstarch in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%